Government Grant

gordo

314%20Government%20Grant_zpslor143c7.jpg

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch"...

Could be a double negative form, classic grammar mistake made by low education english speaking people...

... or the second negation cancels the first, giving a positive sense to the sentence, meaning then: "There is such thing as a free lunch".

Could be a double negative form, classic grammar mistake made by low education english speaking people...

... or the second negation cancels the first, giving a positive sense to the sentence, meaning then: "There is such thing as a free lunch".

I ain't got no quarrels with your post! LOL

Claude . . . you'll have to argue grammar with Robert Heinlein . . arguably the dean of science fiction . . . . but for myself I just believe in common usage in this case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch

This was probably posted by an intellectual who recognizes colloquial speech when he sees it, but pretends not to in order to adopt an air of superiority . . . or perhaps a foreigner who doesn't realize that languages, English included, are often spoken differently than they're written.

See, pretty much anybody can make snarky comments. I'm Ivy League educated and use 'ain't' regularly. COLLOQUIAL PHRASE WARNING! - Get off your high horse.

This was probably posted by an intellectual who recognizes colloquial speech when he sees it, but pretends not to in order to adopt an air of superiority . . . or perhaps a foreigner who doesn't realize that languages, English included, are often spoken differently than they're written.

See, pretty much anybody can make snarky comments. I'm Ivy League educated and use 'ain't' regularly. COLLOQUIAL PHRASE WARNING! - Get off your high horse.

First, it's not simply the word "ain't" he's referring to. It's the "ain't no" he's referring to, which is incorrect grammar, and usually does indicate low education levels. I'm from Indiana. I hear "ain't no, got no, and I seen this.." More in 1 day than most on here probably do in a week.

Secondly, chill out fella. It's all friendly around here. Especially since this was posted in one of Gordo's funnies. No ones on a high horse. Or should I say if anyone here is on a high horse id say it's you making sure you pointed out that your "Ivy League educated".

Settle down guys I was just pointing out that it was a colloquialism coined in the 30 or 40s and is in common use . . .and . . . it's the truth . . bad grammar or not

. . . or perhaps a foreigner who doesn't realize that languages, English included, are often spoken differently than they're written.
Look at my profile, I'm French: I learnt UK english at school, and I'm not completely familiar with US streets language.

I'm Ivy League educated...
Sorry, my school wasn't a prestigious school like yours and english is not my mother-tongue, but I try to do my best.

And AP90 is right, I was neither referring to "ain't" (which I understand, and doesn't bother me), nor climbing on my high horses, I was simply trying to make a joke with the double negative form "ain't no", which, because the 2nd negation normally cancels the first, can be understood as "There is such thing as a free lunch".

Last edited:
Yes... and also:

America, A Horse With No Name:
"Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain"
3 negations!..

Pink Floyd, The Wall:
"We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control"
Each time my english collegue hears this song on the radio he says that in fact they do need education!

Examples of this grammar mistake in popular culture are numerous... but it still is a mistake.

It reminds me my old times doing pre-press, when uncompetent "designers" brought to me their crappy files: when I pointed a common huge mistake in the job (like outlining fonts in a PDF or making a file for each page, or using JPEG logos, or EPS-JPEG pictures), the moron always defended himself saying "I always do like that" or "Everybody does like that" or (worst) "My teachers taught me that"...
OK, I see the point: everybody makes the same mistake, so it's the justification for doing this mistake or to make crap-job... meaning that if the others are morons, I can be too, it's more easy...

But I'm sorry, I don't think that way and I don't accept downwards levelling...: a mistake remains a mistake, even if everybody on the earth does it.

Last edited:
Claude . . . . look at the context all of these examples are in .; .. a work of fiction, musical lyrics . . . its an art form no grammer school and you can get away with a lot of what would otherwise be wrong under the guise of art . . . whereas using a lo res jpg for a logo is business and technology and subject to standards of quality . . .

So now boys and girls the lesson is over . . . .

Claude . . . . look at the context all of these examples are in .; .. a work of fiction, musical lyrics . . . its an art form no grammer school and you can get away with a lot of what would otherwise be wrong under the guise of art . . . whereas using a lo res jpg for a logo is business and technology and subject to standards of quality . . .

So now boys and girls the lesson is over . . . .

Anybody know how we got from a Government grant to pay for G7 training and the question of whether or not it's really free............to..............here?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back