Old PP or New PP - Weigh In All

D Ink Man

So fellow peoples of Print Planet; what you think? Do you like the old version of Print Planet or the new? Remember, change is hard. So, you may want to wait a bit longer after navigation efforts to comment.

My only beef is no new e-mail notifications to your subscribed posts and replies. But consider, I love beef. Especially tenderloin and sirloin.

I'm getting used. And... for this old codger that is some accomplishment.

Ink on paper however, still is the best. Few on this forum will disagree with that thought.

Keep plugging!!

D Ink Man

If it helps Paul White (the admin) to keep the forum going then I've no complaints.

Uploading or attaching a file is easier now also advanced editor toggle button is good. notifications as emails are a bit annoying as well as clearing a notification.

Forum is more responsive now, I don't notice Chrome hanging up as it was in recent weeks. Showing the forum name in recent threads would be nice to have back.
In addition (this was my way of working the forum before the upgrade....I would check the 'What's new' area and catch up on threads with new items that I was interested in, kept pressing the What's New to get an updated list, then when I was done I would press the 'Mark all Forums Read' link on the 'What's new" area to reset all the topics...knowing that any threads would only show up when new items were posted.
NOW - the 'What's New' option shows all the threads, bold for new items, and the 'Mark all as read option' is missing (although I can get to it via the 'Print Planet Forums' Tab -->Mark Channels as Read)
A little more cumbersome to navigate, but again this is just the way I HAD be doing things....but so far I can't see any easier way...YET?

I too share your observations / complaints. The programmers are working on returning some of the former features to this new platform. At this point I don't know how successful this will be, but keep up your comments and suggestions. If we had had our "druthers" we would have stayed on the previous platform, but that was not an option, as it was no longer supported and the previous page design was also no longer supported.

This new design that you are looking at had to be custom created by the programmers to look like our previous version. I know it looks like the other one, but that was the intention. The upside is that this new PrintPlanet platform has security that the former one did not have. To the extent that it's possible to bring back lost features, we will.

D Ink Man should be getting notifications on any new threads on this platform. Like signatures, some of the Member preferences didn't seem to make it to the new version.

My only issue is the font. It looks as though it's condensed and a little more difficult to read longer posts ...or maybe I'm just getting old. :/

I'm not finding "view first unread" (as I recall it) that was handy for keeping up with multipage threads . ..

This may help identifying new posts: if there are new posts, they show up in "New Topics" directly under "PrintPlanet Forums". New Topics can also be accessed from the Forum page and when you hit refresh, those that have been read will disappear.

Regarding the "Search" function, we have to re-index the database – the former index was Lost in Translation. The re-indexing will be worked on over the weekend.

Really dislike that we have to manually get rid of notifications. Also-I don't know if anything has been done about the issue with Chrome, but I haven't noticed any difference. I still need to click to a different tab and then back to PP for it to load.

I also liked the likes given/likes received feature . . . I can't seem to find it now

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back