What are your shops limitations?

AP90

So I have been wondering what all peoples limitations are in their shops. By limitations, I mean what would stop you from taking a job, but you absolutely wish you had the capabilities to do. Would it be wide format, uv coating, a better folder, metallic in on a digital printer or something else? It can be a want list too, but I think it would be a good learning tool for all of us to know how other shops gradually upgraded until they had everything they needed. And also if you had a client come in and ask if you could do something, and you went out and immediately bought the equipment to do it to retain the customer. I know of a shop that already handled most of a clients printing, and when they saw they needed ID type cards, went out and got a new printer that could handle the cards. Whether that is smart or not is besides the point lol. Lastly, I realize that some people work in massive shops that can handle everything, so if those people want to chime in on what they have that they probably should have never acquired, then that would go along with the topic too.

Right now, My shops limitations are that we do not have a wide format printer, and do not have an offset machine, so doing large volume work would not work for us, or at least to be competitive in pricing doing it. But, we do have a pretty state of the art printer (Xerox 1000i), so I would consider that a plus for us. Especially being in the area we are in. I think the other shop in the area is running a 1 color offset and a DC242. So we both have capabilities that the other doesn't.

So I have been wondering what all peoples limitations are in their shops.

I know this doesn't quite fit what you mean by limitations, however, IMHO, printshop limitations usually revolve around the shop not knowing how to extract the value of the equipment that they currently have nor understanding how to cost rationalize an investment in new equipment, services, and/or processes. If they had that figured out they wouldn't have the issues you listed.

We rarely turn down work. That being said the most popular thing we turn down is wedding invites - unless its for a friend. Anything else we find a way to getterdone either by learning something new or outsourcing - we have great vendors for that.

I have five things on my wishlist: Roll laminator, foil fusing, die cutting, tabber (wafer seals), and envelope inserter. I know how to milk my machines for all they're worth- I use my C75 for addressing, envelope printing, bumper stickers, jar labels, tags, plastic ID cards, pocket folders, etc. I haven't figured out how to make it laminate or apply tabs, hence, my desire for some new equipment. I have a manual stack cutter and if you replace the cutting stick with a stick that has a well worn groove, it makes a beautiful channel score! (How's that for value extracting, Gordo?)

Our shop is much like 'dabob' we rarely turn down work... the down side of that is a few agencies in our area only bring work to us when it is too hot for others to take it.... Makes for stress, but we will do what we have to do to get the job done.

Our shop is much like 'dabob' we rarely turn down work... the down side of that is a few agencies in our area only bring work to us when it is too hot for others to take it.... Makes for stress, but we will do what we have to do to get the job done.

Yeah . .. we be like that too . .. get a job when everybody else fails but the deadline never changes . . . :)

Hi Guys. Yea but lets be honest here. Don't you just get sick of the stress associated with crazy deadlines. Don't you sometimes just feel like saying to your customer-
No I want a Sunday at home or sorry I would like to get home in time to see my kids before they are asleep. It seems this is two much to ask? I tell you something for sure, once you do it once or twice they expect it every time.

Hi Guys. Yea but lets be honest here. Don't you just get sick of the stress associated with crazy deadlines. Don't you sometimes just feel like saying to your customer-
No I want a Sunday at home or sorry I would like to get home in time to see my kids before they are asleep. It seems this is two much to ask? I tell you something for sure, once you do it once or twice they expect it every time.

Being honest . . . where does that play into reality of operating a business today . .. the stress will make you sick - who has time for kids or weekends they are highly over-rateded . . . we also tend to give them three choices . . . do you want it good, fast, or cheep - pick two and call us back . . .. funny thing is they usually call back with good and fast - at that point price no longer matters . . .

but then again I am sitting here after a three day weekend barely keeping my eyes open . . but there is money in the checking account . . .:)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back