Need a database of people/companies that don't pay

keith1

Wouldn't that be nice?! Get a call from a potential new client. Look them up on the database. History of burning suppliers.

There would be a lot of room to abuse such a system but it would be nice to know that if someone didn't pay what they owed you could enter their name and basically have them blacklisted so they couldn't shop around to another printer.
Maybe another database of heavy's, that would break a persons legs for a reasonable amount.
Just a thought.

Keith

Wouldn't that be nice?! Get a call from a potential new client. Look them up on the database. History of burning suppliers.

There would be a lot of room to abuse such a system but it would be nice to know that if someone didn't pay what they owed you could enter their name and basically have them blacklisted so they couldn't shop around to another printer.
Maybe another database of heavy's, that would break a persons legs for a reasonable amount.
Just a thought.

Keith

I believe Dun and Bradstreet offer that service: http://www.dnb.com/

Noooo. More localized. Small timers that continually rip off suppliers from a couple hundred dollars up. In other words, your basic low life.
Besides; Dunn & Bradstreet don't break legs, that I'm aware of.

By the way Gordo. C.K. Is that where I know you from? In Van.

Keith

By the way Gordo. C.K. Is that where I know you from? In Van.

Keith

Quite probably although I moved to Vancouver Island in 2005 and was vaporized by Kodak in 2008 when they moved my engineering team's function to China.

I used to belong to a local printers group in a central California town and the smaller towns nearby . . . we compared notes and only let us get burned once . . .and then years ago our PINC group had a "pink" sheet that listed bad pay customers . .. VERY CONFIDENTIAL . . . start a local business group and compare notes . . . I assume you and your competitors are basically friendly????

Quite probably although I moved to Vancouver Island in 2005 and was vaporized by Kodak in 2008 when they moved my engineering team's function to China.

I was in Vancouver (& area) from about 1971 - 1997. Probably around Cleland Kent about '80 or so. It was around Marine Dr. area as I recall.

. . .and then years ago our PINC group had a "pink" sheet that listed bad pay customers . .. VERY CONFIDENTIAL . . . start a local business group and compare notes . . . I assume you and your competitors are basically friendly????

That's what I'm talking about! But not to put someone on the list simply because they might be a jerk. It would have to be legit.

That's what I'm talking about! But not to put someone on the list simply because they might be a jerk. It would have to be legit.

If it wasn't legit . . . that would make it completely worthless . . . honor among competitors . . .. but it would also be nice to be forewarned that a customer might be a little too demanding or unreasonable . . . we have all had customers that we chose not to do business with - but also remember that we can't run afoul of the anti-discrimination laws . . .(thats my disclaimer)

Sounds like an phone app waiting happen. Upload a PDF of the unpaid invoice as evidence and then name and shame your customer. All you need is a catchy name.

It's pretty cool you should bring this up. Several years ago I had the same thought. It was after my bosses were conned by a customer who charmed them and paid promptly for the initial job we did for him. It was a small job, but the next one was considerably larger. In a nutshell, they trusted him and gave him credit and got stiffed on the bill. I wondered if this was the way he did business with other printers, so I thought about a way of networking to blacklist the sucker. But the legal obstacles to that type of service seemed to make it pretty much impossible.

If you don't use a third party you could end up violating laws regarding collusion (at least in the USA). This is the whole point/reason for credit checks and those third parties.

i remember stores that used to tape up bad checks where every one could see them. Ahhh the good old days!

i remember stores that used to tape up bad checks where every one could see them. Ahhh the good old days!

A lot of locally owned stores around me still post them at the cash register area. Always amusing.

After reading the comments to date - this is how we accomplished the same thing "legally" - Once a month we would book a room at a "private" club in town for dinner. All of the players in our industries, in our case shops with 1/2 sheet capability or larger, while at dinner we would discuss the issues with our businesses, be it ink problems - paper issues - poor pay - difficult customers, employees terminated,. . .. when we were going on vacation and if anybody would be around to help our shop out while we were gone .. . . we got a good dinner and some good "gossip" . . .

Our PIA chapter has a slow pay/no pay report. Printers report customers and PIA publishes the list. If you're a PIA member it's free.

You can see the company name, balance due and days out. e.g. ABC Company $15,xxx 180 days. But you cannot see who listed them.

Check with your local PIA affiliate and see if they have a list for your area.

Just checked with my brother - he does the bookwork - and yes our PINC group does still have the "PINK SHEET" lists slow/no pay people . .. which is kinda localized (ours covers the entire Northern California Area . .. for more local - I would try to get the monthly dinners going . .. in addition to the exchange of information its also a great way to meet your competitors in a non competitive way and see who has what capabilities and how willing they are to partner with you on a project that you can't handle in-house. . . . .

And you never know you might make a friend or two . . . .

I was in Vancouver (& area) from about 1971 - 1997. Probably around Cleland Kent about '80 or so. It was around Marine Dr. area as I recall.

Hi Gord,

Yep, thought that was you. And yes, as I recall it was just south of Marine Drive. I left Vancouver in 1997. Was there about 25 years. Worked at smaller shops as well as Benwell Atkins in Van. & Royal, in New West.

Keith

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back