Back In The Day - IBM Field Service

MailGuru

Back in the day, (early to mid 1980's) when I was writing programs and running IBM Mid-Range Computers, the IBM employee who came in to repair your computer was called a "Field Service Engineer". They would routinely get memos and service announcements from their higher-ups about patches on current systems, as well as new techniques and services that were just being introduced.

The following memo issued by IBM Field Service Engineer Management IS REAL ! This was not intended to be a joke, but rather an announcement about a new process. I doubt that the authoring manager took the time to go back and read his memo and see that it was quite funny.

Here is the Memo:

Never mind, now that I have re-read it, not sure it's even appropriate for this forum. You can google it yourself "IBM Field Service - Mouse Balls" . But, I do remember seeing it first hand as a hard copy. My Field Service Engineer showed it to me, and, we had quite a laugh.

-MailGuru

Last edited:
Another story from "Back in the Day" . .. a long time ago I was in tech school learning electronics and we got a spec sheet for a WOM (Write Only Memory) . . . the ultimate in data security once you wrote it you couldn't read it . . . and yes it was from Texas Instruments, a leading manufacturer of integrated circuits at the time . . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back