Free printer with guaranteed minimum consumable usage.....?

MachineMonkey

Hi folks. I've been out of the industry for a number of years now but in a former life worked as a staff photographer for a government based media department. This was over 10 years ago and I have since moved onto other things, but I was hoping I may be able to find the answer to a question I have about acquiring a wide format printer for a possible business opportunity that has come my way (utilising my former skills). Back when I was still working within the industry I gained experience of operating both Epson and HP wide format printers, (I forget the exact models). Now although this wasn't the case for us, I remember there being talk of deals being done within the commercial sector where the printer manufacturers provided the printer free of charge in exchange for a guaranteed monthly minimum order of consumables (paper/ink) over a contracted period. Again, this was just hearsay and I have no idea how much truth there was to it. So my question is this; were deals like this common place? And if so, are the various printer manufacturers still offering such deals? I've been looking at second hand Epson wide format printers, but having seen how heavily these things can be used in the past, I am very wary of going the used route. Maintaining older models with lapsed warranties is also a worry.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Last edited:
I remember there used to be a program like that for toner printers. I also recall that the printers were not suitable for photo or high quality graphics. I do not recall a wide format or photo printer offering a program like that. At the end of the day there are many good print shops out there who will work for you at a fair price and have the modern advanced equipment to give a good result. I think you are right to avoid used wide format inkjet printers unless you have refurb skills or have a very close relationship with the seller.

No Title

I remember there used to be a program like that for toner printers. I also recall that the printers were not suitable for photo or high quality graphics. I do not recall a wide format or photo printer offering a program like that. At the end of the day there are many good print shops out there who will work for you at a fair price and have the modern advanced equipment to give a good result. I think you are right to avoid used wide format inkjet printers unless you have refurb skills or have a very close relationship with the seller.

Thanks for the advice Lorenzo. I had been looking at the general cost of used printers here: [/SIZE][/FONT]http://www.used.forsale/wide-format-printer[FONT=arial][SIZE=13px] but your advice to avoid used equipment in general has has confirmed my fears and I think I will refrain from this plan of action, certainly as my refurb skills are non-existent. I'll investigate the outsourcing option that you suggested. A quick search pulled up a few print shops in my area. Is there a particular company that you would recommend over others given your experience?

Attachments

• photo5761.jpg
    photo5761.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 224
Thanks for the advice Lorenzo. I had been looking at the general cost of used printers here: [/SIZE][/FONT]http://www.used.forsale/wide-format-printer[FONT=arial][SIZE=13px] but your advice to avoid used equipment in general has has confirmed my fears and I think I will refrain from this plan of action, certainly as my refurb skills are non-existent. I'll investigate the outsourcing option that you suggested. A quick search pulled up a few print shops in my area. Is there a particular company that you would recommend over others given your experience?

I'm in Ohio, so I don't know much about NH shops, but I have communicated with Photosmith in Dover NH in the past. You might give them a call for starters.

It kinda depends on what you are looking for. Re sellers may be interested in entertaining that type of relationship, but again it depends on what you are looking for size wise and what your consumable business will really be. Do keep in mind that these "deals" usually invoice an uplift in ink and paper prices until the equipment cost has been recovered.

The only thing similar to that program I have seen is a plate processor if you commit to buying plates and chemicals from the supplier for a period of years.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back