Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By michaelejahn
  • 1 Post By Lukas Engqvist

Thread: InDesign Alpha Fill

coremac is offline Junior Member

Default InDesign Alpha Fill

A set of application files submitted by a customer included an Illustrator graphic imported into InDesign. Somehow, the InDesign graphic box that the Illustrator file was imported into adds a 45% Alpha Fill to the graphic. I have not been able to find an InDesign setting to add an Alpha Fill to a graphic. The only way I found to deal with the Alpha Fill was to delete the graphic box created by the customer and re-import the Illustrator file. If anyone has an explanation of where the Alpha Fill came from, I would like to share it with the customer.
    Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 9.46.19 AM.jpg

Al Ferrari is offline Senior Member

Your Screen Shot clearly shows that an alpha field is activated, set to 45%, and set to multiply. Where is the mystery?
    Al

edit: Why not accept that the alpha field came in with the Illustrator graphic?
    Last edited by Al Ferrari; 01-14-2013 at 01:05 PM.

rich apollo is offline Senior Member

Alpha refers to transparency/opacity. The element is set to multiply with a 45% opacity. It looks like the client was either unaware of how to set a dieline to overprint, or was unaware of how to turn overprint preview on.

michaelejahn is offline Senior Member

I 'think" this may have happened when they set the die line object up - it SHOULD have been set to OVERPRINT at the object level, and THEN set a transparency level - that way, it will not trap or effect any other layers - AND - they should save as PDF/X-4 ( probably set it to PDF/X-1a, and they probably got that warning about mixing transparency settings and spot colors, yada yada... )
    Lukas Engqvist likes this.
    Michael Jahn - Slightly used PDF Evangelist
    Simi Valley California

Lukas Engqvist is offline Senior Member

As Michael says use overprint, nothing else. Using different transparency blend modes and spot colours is just asking for trouble.
    Luis Azevedo likes this.
    Learning by teaching!