Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Stupid Question . . . .?????

dabob is offline Senior Member

I'm not speaking for everyone's speed but I know mine and I know my clients and thats not an issue since we receive files from 1 gig to 5 gigs every day - also in the San Francisco Bay area pretty much everybody has really good speed -

I just don't see opening, adjusting, and saving 60 files at an average speed of less that 30 seconds - and that would be 30 minutes right there . . . I could maybe get it done on an average time of 40 - 50 seconds per file at a minimum

I know I'm getting older and not as fast as some of you young pups but 5 seconds a file is how long it takes my old intel mac to open one file . . . .

just sayin . . .

DCurry is offline Senior Member

Write an action. I don't think Illustrator is quite as robust as Photoshop, where you could dump them all in one folder and have Photoshop open each, run an action, then close and put in a different folder, but you can certainly record the Save As command. Also include Close in the action. Assign it an F key, then all you have to do is open a bunch of them, hit the F key and it will do it lickety-split (of course, you'll have to hit the F key 60 times, but so what?)
    Dan Curry
    Prinergy 5.3 • Preps 5.3.3 + 6.3

dabob is offline Senior Member

as a side note - this weekend i looked at the files my customers send me .. . and the last six files averaged 1.989 gigs per file . . . and frequently they get up to 5 an 10 gigs but then their "artists" tend to use one product shot that is 42 inches x 32 inches at 300 dpi and they shrink them down and use 3 or 4 of them on a 5 x 7 postcard and then rather than make 4 postcards in a 4 page file with copy changes they make 4 indivudual files and collect them all for out put . . so go figure the files size from that kind of duplication . . . .Yes we do need a BFP and the people that send the files obviously need one too . . ..and no they won't listent about "suggestions" to reduce the image in Photoshop to slightly larger than needed since they will be using the same image on Point of Sale . . . . and my boss is wondering why I am getting balder by the day . . ..

Shawn is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCurry View Post
    Write an action. I don't think Illustrator is quite as robust as Photoshop, where you could dump them all in one folder and have Photoshop open each, run an action, then close and put in a different folder, but you can certainly record the Save As command. Also include Close in the action. Assign it an F key, then all you have to do is open a bunch of them, hit the F key and it will do it lickety-split (of course, you'll have to hit the F key 60 times, but so what?)
    I like Dan's idea of using Actions. There is also a "batch" option at the bottom of the Illustrator Action panel submenu. Just choose that and point it to the folder in question and it should open and auto save all the files with the "save as" settings you've chosen.

Shawn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12