Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Creative Cloud thoughts

amybest222 is offline Senior Member

Default Creative Cloud thoughts

Adobe Creative Cloud | Adobe.com
    with the release of Adobe's Creative Cloud updates .. does anyone know if a file created in "CC" will open in the now legacy CS6? (especially Indd.) or is this but yet another reason to push print service providers to upgrade–
    with having to be able to open clients files? thoughts

My thoughts...I work in a commercial print environment, that along with our digital stations, have 16 CS installs. We are part of a large corporation, and I hope that there is a way that we will get licensing through that. Subscription based software is something I have my reservations on in our environment. Why must Adobe feel it must fix something that isn't really broken. We are not all web designers who work rgb, some of us still like to put ink on paper!
    Andy D, Alith7, Tpyo and 1 others like this.

Lukas Engqvist is offline Senior Member

All CC subscribers will have access to CS6. If you are "just" outputting then it is tough with a CC account as well… there is the option to ask for print ready PDF's but we all know that customers are not becoming better at making files for print with all distractions of digital-, cross- and web-publishing. So no the files will not be able to be opened in CS6, but need to be back saved for that version.

I think there is things that can be done for print, but we need to be more to voice the benefits of being able to measure TAC/TOC (like in InDesign and Acrobat) even in Illustrator and Photoshop. That we want to be able to decide what GCR settings we want for any image from within InDesign, and/or in Photoshop (and Illustrator). Have the colour converter from Acrobat in Illustrator so that we can preserve black as K when converting from RGB to CMYK.

It is important not to just say that there are not enough features for print, but to verbalise what features/frustrations we would like to have addressed. And send them as feature requests. Maybe web and digital publishers are better at expressing their needs in a way that Adobe can understand it.

To lease software Adobe is not first, let's hope they will be the first to be more reasonable in honouring long term loyal users.
    Tpyo likes this.
    Learning by teaching!

Hopkins Printing is offline Senior Member

The following is taken directly from the CC FAQ page on Adobe's website:

Can the new CC applications export to CS6?

Many of the Creative Cloud desktop applications provide the ability to export files to the Creative Suite 6 version of that same application. Creative Suite 6 products are available via a perpetual software license. Adobe plans to continue to support the ability to export to Creative Suite 6 in the applications that have that capability now. New features added to the desktop applications after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or by the Creative Suite 6 application.

Which CC application support export to CS6?

The following applications support the ability to export to the CS6 version of the application: Photoshop, InDesign®, Illustrator, Flash® Professional, Dreamweaver® Applications not listed here may not support exporting to Creative Suite 6, and may not do so in future releases. New features added to the above list after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or by the Creative Suite 6 application.

mjetzer is offline Junior Member

I'm thinking this is going to backfire on Adobe to some degree. I would for a large corporation, this isn't a big deal for us. In fact, our IT will love it. Set cost, fees, easy to manage, etc, updates just happen. I feel it going to hurt the mid to small size groups that don't have IT departments. The backfire is the need to connect, a lot of large organization and printers have every strict rules about outside access. Having to "phone home" is not going to go over well. The sad this is there really aren't any viable alternatives to the adobe suite.

gordo is offline Senior Member

The move has infuriated photographers. At least Adobe responded to them:
    Photoshop CC: Adobe responds to reaction: Digital Photography Review

Best, gordo

zoran is offline Senior Member

This effectively doubles the price of CS for us, we are Volume License buyer.
    As Print provider we do not need bells and whistles of web that they are offering you with CC.
    It just seems that Adobe thinks about Print Providers only as small, negligible group that is not important.
    This has to backfire, I know I will be first to start pushing for PDF's ony and support up to CS6.
    We were already thinking of killing support for Quark due to issues with it, I guess Adobe CC is next.
    GeorgeHB likes this.

brent is offline Senior Member

And what's to prevent Adobe from raising their prices, after a year or so? You think you are held hostage now....Just wait. I am staying right where I am.

CS6 for life! LOL

wonderings is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    And what's to prevent Adobe from raising their prices, after a year or so? You think you are held hostage now....Just wait. I am staying right where I am.

CS6 for life! LOL
    We will be doing the same, or at least as long as we can. I don't want to rent software.
    mazengh likes this.

leonardr is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoran View Post
    This effectively doubles the price of CS for us, we are Volume License buyer.
    In what way? How are you doing the math on this?

As Print provider we do not need bells and whistles of web that they are offering you with CC.
    That may well be, but consider some of the things that you DO get with CC that you don't currently have
    - FREE ACCESS to the ENTIRE Adobe Font Library! No more "Where is that font"?
    - 20G of free cloud storage! No more managing your own FTP or other servers for client communication.
    - ALWAYS up to date. No more worrying about making sure your clients can't send you files that you can't open.

This has to backfire, I know I will be first to start pushing for PDF's ony
    Never thought that would be a reaction, but _I_ think it's a GREAT idea!
    amybest222 likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast