Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dabob is offline Senior Member

Default what is the best color accurate monitor out there

Hi guys .. .. my Lacie Electron Blue monitor which has served me faithfully through the years just bit the dust . . . I was wondering if there is anything out there that would be as color faithful and easy to use as this one was . . . in your opinion what is the best monitor to do color correction of photos on

thanks for your input

Lukas Engqvist is offline Senior Member

If you ever need to have a client next to you and need to see the same colour at the same time from slightly different angles there is no other than a Quato Inteliproof excellence
    Quatographic Technology GmbH

Ian Mackenzie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Engqvist View Post
    If you ever need to have a client next to you and need to see the same colour at the same time from slightly different angles there is no other than a Quato Inteliproof excellence
    Quatographic Technology GmbH
    The Quato is the best monitor we have ever seen.
    We distributed them in the North America from 2005 until 2008.

Shawn is offline Senior Member

I've heard great things about the Quato as well. You might also want to consider something from EIZO. The ultra-premium monitors like the Quato and Eizo LCDs that give you great results, but you definitely have to pay for what you get.

In the next price range down, we've had good luck with Apple Cinema Displays (the older matte version) calibrated with ColorEyes Display Pro and an XRite DTP94. They don't quite match the better Eizo's but they're a lot cheaper and can match our proofs and press well when calibrated. I've even seen good results from the Dell 2408WFP, although the Dell quality control is sometimes hit or miss.

The important thing to remember with LCDs is that there are a bunch of cheaper screens out there that use a TN based panel, which can't display accurate color. They work fine for general work, and movies and games, but just don't cut it for color correct work. The better panels all use IPS or PVA screens, which are a little slower in response time and cost more. Whatever you get, make sure it uses IPS or PVA. These websites have some great info on the various screens, including gamut measurements and panels used.

www.flatpanelshd.com - Your guide to flat panel monitors and TVs
    TFT Central - LCD Monitor Information, Reviews, Guides and News

Shawn

Ian Mackenzie Guest

The real quality monitors from Eizo are the same price as Quato's.
    When you look at the lower priced Eizos, then you may also look at NEC, Samsung and others.

anything but Apple...;-)

Jmussi is offline Junior Member

The best monitor..... is one that you actually calibrate regularly. Seriously though it really depends on what you really NEED. The LACE ElectronBlue was a good monitor, but I also be that if you've had it for a while it hasn't been living up to it's "new" state for some time. Phosphors fade, stability gets worse, and even with regular calibration it may only be holding that state for hours. If your main application was photo retouching then honestly you can get by with most "graphic Arts" oriented monitors, even a cinema display! The better monitors will have better edge to center uniformity, gamut, hardware and software calibration support and higher bit depth LUT's. For virtual proofing all this stuff really matters, for retouching it may or may not. We've had good luck selling the EIZO's and NEC's for the type of work that you mention.

rich apollo is offline Senior Member

Eizo, Samsung, NEC, LaCie, all have very good monitors. HP has the DreamColor line - heard about but never seen one. I've heard of Quato, but never seen one.

I had a LaCie 321 a few years back and I LOVED it. Very good monitor for the price. It had some inconsistency in the back light, but the color quality was great and extremely subtle.

Lukas Engqvist is offline Senior Member

@rich, if you come over here I show u the Quato
    since I some times need to discuss what to expect with customer, it is key to be able to see the same colours even from different angles that's what let me convince my boss about the quato.

Visualaid Guest

Default i.m.o.

Quote Originally Posted by dabob View Post
    Hi guys .. .. my Lacie Electron Blue monitor which has served me faithfully through the years just bit the dust . . . I was wondering if there is anything out there that would be as color faithful and easy to use as this one was . . . in your opinion what is the best monitor to do color correction of photos on

thanks for your input
    I'd say the iMac has the best I've seen - hands down. that's if you're willing to spend the money

mattbeals is offline Senior Member

Last year at Print we had Quato monitors at the Enfocus/Callas/Elpical/DMP booth. They were gorgeous. During the slow times we played Monty Python and The Holy Grail for passers by. The killer rabbit never looked so good...

In all seriousness though, the monitor was gorgeous.
    Matt Beals
    The views expressed here are my own personal views and are not those of my employer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast