Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: CMYK prints the same on every printer!!!

PrintFX is offline Junior Member

Default CMYK prints the same on every printer!!!

Hello,

OK my first post... I'm running with a couple of Epson Surecolours which I've calibrated myself.

I've been supplied artwork many times with CMYK values stated for certain parts as well as Pantone references. Now I'd normally ignore the CMYK values and match to the Pantone as best I could, but I have a customer who is insistant that I use the CMYK values!

I've told them that this won't guarantee a match to the Pantone but they don't understand why, plus they have said that they have another supplier who is printing the same artwork and mine will need to match.

I explained that the same cmyk makeup will print differently between printers but I don't seem to be getting anywhere!

Have I got completely the wrong idea or should all printers print the same?

Please help!

arkay_desai is offline Member

Hi,

We are using delta values to match and print.
    Arkay Desai

yes i usually take delta readings and try to get it under 3 (depending on the colour), I can match to the required colours if I alter the cmyk myself, but the customer is adamant that the cmyk they've given will match

Paul Santer is offline Member

Sounds like your going to have a tough job explaining things to your customer if they think all CMYK Devices Print the same.
    If you have a RIP that you can edit the Spot Colour Lookup Table, why don't you just get a sample of what they are trying to match and edit the Spot Colour Library to get the closest match on your device and Substrate?

yes the rips have spot colour tables, but i can only speciify Lab values!

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a trick somewhere.

Is it just a common mis-conception by customers that supplying a CMYK to a printer will produce the expected colour?

Other common mis-conceptions;
    - The CMYKs I supply will look as they do on my screen
    - The CMYK i give the printer will look how I want it to
    - I'll send the same file to 2 different printers and they'll look the same when printed
    - I'll give the printer CMYK values from the Pantone book, that way it'll match the Pantone I want

All of which are obviously twoddle as there are too many factors to take into account (ink system, gamut, printer/manufacturer, heat, substrate, humidity, what pants i've got on!)

Please tell me that I'm not talking rubbish!

Schnitzel is offline Member

Of course it's a misconception! The majority of graphic artists I've worked with didn't understand or even know this simple fact: that every combination of printer-ink-paper will produce a different visual color out of the same set of CMYK numbers.

It's a simple matter to prove this: print the same CMYK values that the client sent, on 2 radically different papers, and show them the results.
    Tpyo likes this.

gordo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrintFX View Post
    I'm running with a couple of Epson Surecolours which I've calibrated myself.

I've been supplied artwork many times with CMYK values stated for certain parts as well as Pantone references. Now I'd normally ignore the CMYK values and match to the Pantone as best I could, but I have a customer who is insistant that I use the CMYK values!

I've told them that this won't guarantee a match to the Pantone but they don't understand why, plus they have said that they have another supplier who is printing the same artwork and mine will need to match.

I explained that the same cmyk makeup will print differently between printers but I don't seem to be getting anywhere!

Have I got completely the wrong idea or should all printers print the same?
    Well, your customer may think that you've set up your Epsons to represent an industry (ISO) color specification, in which case the same CMYK values will print reasonably close across different printers and will produce the expected color.
    The Pantone "Solid in Process" swatchbook shows the difference between spot colors and what Pantone thinks is offset printing simulating those colors. Some printshops print out posters of Pantone swatches so that customers (and even the printers themselves) can choose which CMYK patch best matches a given spot color. I.e. if, for example you want the best match to Pantone 123 you might actually specify Pantone 124 instead.
    Alternatively you can print out a Color Atlas ( The Print Guide: The Color Atlas - helping designers to specify color ). That shows all the CMYK combinations, so all you have to do is find the best CMYK simulation to the actual spot sample in your, or the customer's, swatchbook.

best, gordo
    Last edited by gordo; 05-09-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    Colorblind, dabob and Phish like this.

Louis Dery is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Well, your customer may think that you've set up your Epsons to represent an industry (ISO) color specification, in which case the same CMYK values will print reasonably close across different printers and will produce the expected color.
    The Pantone "Solid in Process" swatchbook shows the difference between spot colors and what Pantone thinks is offset printing simulating those colors.
    Hello Gordo,

Do you think that the CMYK values defined in the Pantone+ Color Bridge Coated guide are OK for the North American offset printing based on their (Pantone) printing specs found in the first page of the guide?
    Let me know if you know printing shop that are able to use those CMYK numbers in order to get close match.
    I don’t refer to vivid Pantone colours.

Colorblind is offline Senior Member

Please correct me if my methodology is wrong but if a Pantone Coated value is supplied, let say Pantone 533C, both my Adobe and inRip *Lab librairies for this are L: 20 a: 1 b: -20. Now I want to make my own CMYK match and since I proof to Gracol, I just need to translate that lab value to GracolC1 profile CMYK absolute colorimetric rendering and I get 94c 75m 23y 53k.
    Better train people and risk they leave - than do nothing and risk they stay.

Louis Dery is offline Senior Member

Hello Colorblind,

That is exactly what Pantone Color Manger utility does!
    This way, you get the best Pantone simulation CMYK values for your printing condition!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast