Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Aimee Dennis is offline Junior Member

Default Kodak vs. Fuji plates

Hello all. I am dealing with a manager that wants to take out the Fuji/Screen set up that we have and put in Creo/Kodak. Any pros or cons you can offer would be great. I am very pro Fuji as we have had very poor experiences with Kodak in the past, but am open for any feedback out there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Aimee

andyfest0719 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Kodak vs. Fuji plates

We have been using Fuji plates/Fuji T9000 (DS Screen) platesetter for over 4 years with very few issues. We average an output of 2200 plates/month. The equipment is very robust and Fuji's service has always been exemplary. No problems with plates either. Even before CTP, we were using Fuji conventional FTP plates. Tests with other plate types did not give us any real impetus to change brands. Our evaluation of Creo's technology vs Fuji (Screen) in '03 showed us that the Creo Trendsetter was more $, output fewer plates/hr, and could not be outfitted with an autopunch for the press. We ended up buying a Nexus workflow hooked to a Fuji T9000 with autopunch, conveyor, Fuji processor and a Nita stacker, all in line. So far - no regrets!

JohnM is offline Junior Member

We were a Kodak shop for 25+ years and as of March 1st switched over to Fuji. We had some major issues with service and their plates. Pressman were never happy with their sword plates and we had tons of issues. They had a problem delivering their plates flat and we had to end up getting skids of plates which was a PITA due to space issues. We have 3 different size 40" plates and we had to make room for 3 skids in our plate room area. That's just one small issue. So far pressman are happy they say they have to use less water on press, I also had a big issue with hot spots on their plates which their answer was to get a Magnus which in reality works around the hot spots but does not resolve them. I have not had a single hot spot yet and we've been running 24x7. Kodak is not what they used to be, and so far the service we are getting from Fuji is excellent, something like what we use to get from kodak a while back. anyhow didn't mean to vent but just wanted to share our experience... good luck...

stargate is offline Senior Member

Good Luck Aimee! You will be sorry!
    Agfa I would understand but Kodak? I am using Fuji Javelin with Fuji plates since April 2004 and I have never had any issues.

UncleSam is offline Member

You will regret if you switch from Fuji to Kodak plates. Why your manager want to switch to Kodak plates? What kind of Fuji plate you are using now? If you go for Kodak, this will be your result: Much higher cost to maintain especially the processor and chemical, much less quality from the output compare to Fuji, bad services!

dub
    dub is offline Member

We are a Kodak Sword (G33, not ultragrain which has no durability) shop right now and I am in the process of researching going to Fuji or Agfa. I have worked with Kodak Sword for the last 7 years and can say that their technology is about par but nothing special. As others have eluded to Kodak plates will generally cost you more per sq. foot, the chemistry costs more and only lasts about 10,000 sq feet vs. Fuji and Agfa at 20,000 sq feet per change over. Kodak plates will use more water on press, our recent test has shown that Fuji LHPJ's can run with almost 20 points less dampening on our presses.

In the no bake - medium run length segment, Fuji LHPJ and Agfa Energy Elite are far superior products. I have also worked with Creo Trendsetters, and Magnus Platesetters for the last 10+ years and can attest that they are very solid machines. However todays market demands more automation, and that gets expensive when you call on Kodak. Screen platesetters have much higher throughput and seem to be on the cutting edge of technology, I can't attest to reliability but I bet others can.

Kodak really needs to pick up the pace or they may find themselves putting all their money into digital presses as no one will be buying their plates anymore.

Aimee Dennis is offline Junior Member

Thank you all very much for your input. I too am thrilled with the quality and service that we haver received from Fuji. They are reliable, durable and consistent. I am also very happy with their technicians and the level of product that they keep on the floor for us. I just really wanted to see if the same issues we dealt with in the past with Kodak were still there and still things that you all might be dealing with. It seems from the responses received that they indeed are.

Thank you all again!
    Aimee

nemo is offline Senior Member

I can understand comments about Fuji vs Kodak plates where experiences are very different. But about speed? throughput??? Get serious...
    People asking opinions here should be aware that most purchasing advices are coming from biased dealers. I can understand they are trying to promote the products they sell...but stop throwing out nonsense... it won't help anyone, nor increase your sales.
    Does anybody think that RRD, Quebecor World, Quad Graphics, Transcontinental, Cox and all the other major printers are plain stupid going with Kodak/Creo CTP's?
    Dealing in the past with Kodak? What Kodak ? This is a completely new company - it now means Creo, Versamark, NexPress, Scitex etc...

John W is offline Senior Member

IMHO, the printers you mention all suffer from LSM. LSM? Large Shop Mentality.
    Marketing and price seem to have a large effect on LSM shops. For example, I am aware that Kodak made several very sweet deals for the volume LSM shops.
    Having said that, an LSM will always defend their decision on equipment and consumables and let's face it, they generally do not want to dabble in mix and match systems because they don't have the time, patience for that.
    Secondly and historically, the Japanese are last to market but best to market. If these LSM's were early into ctp (and most were), the Japanese may not have been there for them at that early point so they chose what was best at the time in their opinion.
    Times change. Most of the posters here agree and that is pobably the key point.
    My 2c's
    John W

stargate is offline Senior Member

I am NOT a dealer and I don't sell any consumables or prepress/press equipment. Hey, I can give you my Dupont Waterproof system for FREE...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast