Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fancom is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Digital Printing Press - Price Comparison and More

Hello all,

First of all, I'm so happy to find this forum. I have been looking for something like this for weeks now. As a newcomer to the printing industry, I have a few stuff that desperately need your help.

1. What are the basic technical concepts/terms I need to know about digital printing? What websites are there for dummies? I have tried Wikipedia and Google but they don't help much.

2. If I want to print high-resolution photos in large quantities and in different sizes (4x6, 5x7, 18x20... or photobooks, and cards...), which of the following printers are best: Xerox iGen, HP Indigo, NexPress, Oce VarioPrint, InfoPrint, and Xeikon? I know Shutterfly is using the Xerox and HP machines so just wondering if they are the best.

3. What are the prices of the above-mentioned machines? I found the following site and it said the Igen3 is starting at $580K apiece:

http://bigpicture.net/index.php?open...displaynow=yes

4. I'm planning to purchase or lease 1 to 2 for my firm but unsure of the purchasing and the leasing options. Could you please differentiate them for me?

Thank you all so much!

Best,
    fancom

smatros is offline Senior Member

what print volume you intend to do? who are you major clients?
    I would suggest you hire someone who knows the stuff and guides you through first steps. The machines you mention are maybe a bit too big for the first steps.

Craig is offline Senior Member

Fancom,
    You really need to know what your volumes are. Without that information you are really shooting in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by smatros View Post
    what print volume you intend to do? who are you major clients?
    I would suggest you hire someone who knows the stuff and guides you through first steps. The machines you mention are maybe a bit too big for the first steps.
    We're still gathering info to see how big the demand is. Our target is not businesses but consumers in another country whose approx. 15M of the population has enough disposable incomes to purchase printing products other than 4x6 prints. My guess is that the volume will be big, just not sure how big it's gonna be.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fancom View Post
    the population has enough disposable incomes to purchase printing products other than 4x6 prints. My guess is that the volume will be big, just not sure how big it's gonna be.
    So your main product will be pictures / photobooks?

So your main product will be pictures / photobooks?
    Yes, that's correct.

If photography is your main intention then Xerox is probably the best way to pursue. As you are more a start up, DC260 or X700 is the way to go with in my opinion. If you wish to spend more, or need more speed, go with 8000AP.

If photography is your main intention then Xerox is probably the best way to pursue. As you are more a start up, DC260 or X700 is the way to go with in my opinion. If you wish to spend more, or need more speed, go with 8000AP.
    I did a little bit of research on the X700 and found that the price for used ones is about 50K apiece. Is that the normal price? What about the 8000AP?

Thanks so much!

StrikTenn913 is offline Member

If you're going to look at the 8000AP, you should consider Canon's models (imagePRESS C6000/C6000VP/C700VP). I have seen output from both and they are very competitive. Pricing is also very competitive. You won't sacrifice imaging quality for speed with those machines.

If your volume is too low (under 100K monthly) the Canon may not be right for you.

TnT
    TnT is offline Junior Member

If you are doing Photobooks make sure the supplier has *very* good colour management expertise available, and more importantly understands your market. Photos and Photobooks are not 'Production Colour' if your vendor does not understand this, you need to find one that does.

I have personally found both Xerox and Canon to not understand the Photobook market at all.

Oil base machines, ( Xerox 5000AP and up) will cause you problems from the finish point of view, 'flashing' an image will show up the oil and inconsistency that generates, your customers will not look fondly on this.

I no longer own a machine, but did own a Xerox, the baby brother of the 700 the 5065, it was a nightmare, could not handle the stock we required, (I understand the 700 has addressed this, but I wouldn't be wanting to bet my business on it).

We moved to the ImagePRESS 7000VP, (outsourcing the printing), beautifully sharp images, colour consistency was WOEFUL, uptime of the press was pretty bad as well. Generally reliability was a significant problem.

We have moved to the HP Indigo 5500. One word. Impressed.

There is a reason that HP have a stranglehold on the Photo market. They currently have 75% market share and that is growing. I now know why.

My recommendation is outsource your printing. If you are new to game, build a good relationship with a good printer, get your volumes up and once you understand the ins and outs of printing, (and no it's not just 'hit the print button'), then look to bringing the printing in house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast