Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mach 5 vs Xante

camasprinter is offline Junior Member

Default Mach 5 vs Xante

We are deciding on purchasing either a Rena Mach 5 or a Xante as another print option, mainly for short run color envelopes and addressing capabilities.

We already have a Xerox 700 and use it a lot, also a Heid QM46DI which we run on longer runs quite well.

Curious what everyone can contribute to a discussion about costs of operation and ease of use, repair & service history etc.

The Mach 5 looks like a better ROI but the Xante, on paper seems to do more better . . .

larryg4b is offline Junior Member

I have a Mach 5 and I can tell you it has potential. It is easy to use and feeds pretty good. Color matching is near impossible and it does have it's issues with the heads clogging causing constant cleaning throughout the print run. Our machine has been down quite a bit too. So it is not the production work horse but should work good for short run jobs. The colors will look faded compared to offset and toner based machines but it does do an acceptable job for the non-color-picky customer.

camasprinter is offline Junior Member

Rena has a $4k add on "mColor" new to the system that you can dial in colors better. I saw it demo'd and found it to be credible enough. There are a couple of ways to pick and choose & adjust. Do you have that option?

NeildawgNCP is offline Junior Member

I have no experience with the Rena although I did scope it out when it was first announced. I've owned a Xante for about 6 months and I've been pleasantly surprised with it most of the time...lol. Every machine has its quirks and this one is no exception. I can color match pretty darn well with the RIP tools that came with it. It is not a cheap machine to purchase but in keeping with my all-digital shop philosophy, there were painfully few options for envelope printing. You'll find a great many Xante haters in here but when it comes right down to it, it works...and works very well. And here's my favorite part that I found out only after I bought it: during setup of the machine the technician can install a firmware upgrade and RIP add-on that will allow you to take the CMY cartridges AND drums out of the machine when needed and run ONLY the black toner and drum, thereby substantially saving wear and tear on the CMY drums when you only need to print black. That was a huge discovery that doesn't seem to be promoted in any of their literature. I wish I'd bought it sooner for that reason alone.

snapprinting is offline Junior Member

Hi Neil,

Just reading through you comment regarding the Xante Envelope printer..We own one of these and seems to work great..I am very interested in the firmwear update and RIP add-on that allows you to remove the drum and toner cartridges while only printing black..Is this a do it your self job or does a tech need to install this option for you?

NeildawgNCP is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by snapprinting View Post
    Hi Neil,

Just reading through you comment regarding the Xante Envelope printer..We own one of these and seems to work great..I am very interested in the firmwear update and RIP add-on that allows you to remove the drum and toner cartridges while only printing black..Is this a do it your self job or does a tech need to install this option for you?
    When I was setting up the machine the technician logged in to my computer that runs the RIP software and did it all through there. He just asked me (almost in passing) if we ran a lot of black only envelopes. When I said yes he told me about the updates (that didn't cost anything) and I told him to proceed with it. I'm pretty sure it's something they would have to do from their end.

PrintTriks is offline Member

We have the Rena, after getting a lot of kinks worked out (early adopter) it has become a reliable work horse. Color matching..............Not good at all, you can get it pretty close but it takes some work. My longest run on it at once has been 10k, most runs are 500 - 2k. Their ink yields and print head estimates have been close to accurate.

csudman is offline Senior Member

Look at colordyne. Same box as the rena and a bit cheaper. We've had one for about 4 months and are pleased with it. Get the rip. You can get pretty close on most colors. Some pantones are just not reachable. We've replaced about 75% of our offset with this.

CJ

PM me if you want my reps info. Good guy and very knowlegable.

Joe Duffy is offline Senior Member

Looked at this at the show in October - seems like a better version of inkjet because of the color control.
    Still Memjet technology.
    iJetPress Digital Inkjet Press Benefits - powered by Memjet

zele is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    we have one Xante Ilumina in our shop for a years already, which is print engine is the same like by Ilumina 650 GS and I must to say that this machine didn't reliable and pretty expensive to operate. The color match isn't perfect but still salable. On my opinion is the Mach 5 or similar with his Mmemjet technology better engine constructed specially for envelope printing. The problem can be with the dye inks which are not waterproof, but we know that sometimes the mail can be wet. But like I sad we haven't any experience with Rena only with Memjet on other machine and works great there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast