Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    meddington is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't it sound like someone else attempting to FORCE a business to operate in a manner THEY choose?
    (Extortion anyone?)

Extortion? Keep in mind that as far as the printing industry is concerned, the ones forcing the issue are the consumers/print buyers. How dare they extort us!

FSC certification is primarily a means to identify the orgin and quality of a product/production process (extending well beyond paper) and has had a positive impact on forestry practices internationally. Anyone out there blindly trust the forestry industry to operate in a sustainable and ethical manner based on their word? Anyone else require credentials of similar nature from a person or company prior to doing business with them?

Its very easy for a printer to purchase FSC paper without certification, and many clients might be satisfied with this. Others may want to promote that FSC paper is used on their products. In this case, certification is required as evidence of conformance. You can argue the true benefits of this to the printer given the cost of certification, but I really don't understand the paranoia. Its purely voluntary.

Craig is offline Senior Member

[QUOTE=meddington;118249FSC certification is primarily a means to identify the orgin and quality of a product/production process (extending well beyond paper) and has had a positive impact on forestry practices internationally. [/QUOTE]

No complaint with that quote what so ever! It just makes my point that much clearer. FSC certification is for the forestry industry, not the printing industry. Once the paper is made, ream wrapped or boxed there is not a whole hell of a lot more I can do to make it less "FSC certified"! Correct?

Why can't I as a printer promote that fact that the paper came from a source that operates in a sustainable and ethical manner without having to PAY to do it?

It would be the same as saying if I print a brochure for a pharmaceutical company I need to be a member of PHRMA!

meddington is offline Senior Member

No complaint with that quote what so ever! It just makes my point that much clearer. FSC certification is for the forestry industry, not the printing industry.
    FSC chain of custody certification is about supply chain tracebility... to offer independent, 3rd party confirmation to the end user that certified materials were used in the production process. The chain could stop at any number of places along the way. Since the printer is part of the production process, its often part of the chain. Many other industries use similar traceability certification.

Once the paper is made, ream wrapped or boxed there is not a whole hell of a lot more I can do to make it less "FSC certified"! Correct?
    No, but its possible your end product could contain both certified and non certified consumables (an FSC cover stock with non FSC body), in which case you could not legitimatly claim the product was FSC certified. Its also quite possible that a rogue printer could falsely claim sustainable practices in order to attract client. Without independent confirmation, how would one know the difference?

Why can't I as a printer promote that fact that the paper came from a source that operates in a sustainable and ethical manner without having to PAY to do it?
    You certainly can. Nothing stopping you there, and many clients are ok with this. . You just don't have a the ability to claim you're certified or use the FSC logo on you products or promotional material, which many other clients might want (or are being pressured by their own clients to provide). Besides, there's more to certification than buying the paper. You couldn't claim you were certified for food contact just because you bought the hair nets.

arsenal123 is offline Junior Member

many mills were generally practicing sustainable forestry
    because it made good business sense, yet they received little or no credit
    for their efforts unless they jumped through the FSC's hoops and payed their
    money.
    http://www.efellemedia.com
    http://www.efellemedia.com/service/website-design-and-development

maas is offline Senior Member

Afternoon

Our heatset plant (turn over $50million) became duel certified last year (FSC and PEFC), I project managed this process which was not all that difficult, i relied initially on our paper merchants to check that the paper work i would be submitting was in order and also on our MIS system which has an inventory management component.

The spinnoff for the company was the ability to tender for work from clients that have a sustainability policy in place as part of their corporate identity (particularly government work)

No matter what you may think of these trends ultimately the market will dictate what route you will need to take.

regards
    Maas

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678