• 1 Post By Green Printer

Thread: Big Trouble

Green Printer is offline Senior Member

Default Big Trouble

You think you have troubles read this.

Lawsuit filed against Melrose Park book manufacturer - chicagotribune.com

And there will be more to come.

ondemandbindery is offline Senior Member

When you get the EPA involved nothing good will come out of it. Ignorance won't get them anywhere either. If they don't have their documentation in order, they will get nailed.

JW

Lammy is offline Senior Member

WOW that is just totally insane. These are the same people though that wonder why nothing is produced in their state or this country anymore and it's all being made in countries without ludicrous laws and fines.
    Matthew "LAMMY" Lamoureux
    918 Printery - Ad artem artium conservatricem conservandam

STSTech is offline Member

This should not surprise anyone. Thee state of Illinois needs money. The solution to this problem is simple. Pay the fine and move the compay north about 40 miles where that state is willing to work with business.

Ron

dabob is offline Senior Member

Out here in Krazifornia I like to think that it's mandatory volunteerism . . . you have to get permits, you have to have records as to your VOC usage . . . but I have never heard of the agencies going out and looking for printing companies that don't call them to register . . . but it does show that you need to know the rules and follow them or you are leaving yourself open to disaster.

Shane Anderson is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dabob View Post
    Out here in Krazifornia I like to think that it's mandatory volunteerism . . . you have to get permits, you have to have records as to your VOC usage . . . but I have never heard of the agencies going out and looking for printing companies that don't call them to register . . . but it does show that you need to know the rules and follow them or you are leaving yourself open to disaster.
    I was told that people from the surrounding area were complaining of the smell. That was what started the investigation.

North across the street is residential area. Here is the map link.

Google Maps

Lukew is offline Senior Member

Don't know the laws in that region, but out of curiosity could you tell me if this business would be in trouble or would still need to register if they were using chemicals & ink that poses minimal environmental issues & contains a fraction of the VOC levels then that of what is the industry standard?

OR

Does the EPA simply look at the machinery & equipment in use and average out an estimated possible VOC % based on industry standard guidelines?

Lukew

Maybe the PIA http://www.printing.org could help with this. Gary Jones is their environmental Guru I am sure he could explain how the environmental laws are implemented. Mr Jones is also on the board of directors of the SGP http://www.sgppartnership.org/about-...-of-directors/ and would be up to date on all of the laws.
    Last edited by Green Printer; 01-21-2013 at 03:57 PM.