Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Quark Memorial Service

oxburger is offline Senior Member

Default Quark Memorial Service

Did I miss the QuarkXpress memorial service when it was removed from the category list? Anyways, so long Quark, say hi to Pagemaker for me.
    By the time I walk out of here, I'm going to be a lean, mean, prepress machine...

Al Ferrari is offline Senior Member

We know Quark has shortcomings, but do you really prefer having a single layout application in the market?

Al

Cory Smith is offline Administrator

If you aren't innovating, you are dying. Quark just sat back and watched Adobe eat their lunch. It would feel different if quark had treated their customers better back in the day, but they didn't and the majority were happy to tell them to go take a hike.

Are things better with a single app in the market?
    For most shops, I would say yes, indesign has some issues but it beats supporting two platforms in regards to training/troubleshooting and upgrades. If it wasn't for Adobe we would still be building all transparency effects in photoshop and saving flattened tifs .

Quark had their opportunities but were asleep at the wheel (literally)
    JCPenfold likes this.

Al Ferrari is offline Senior Member

I also prefer InDesign and I don't disagree with how the current situation came to be, but I would encourage rather than discourage any competing application.

Al

chevalier is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al Ferrari View Post
    We know Quark has shortcomings, but do you really prefer having a single layout application in the market?

Al
    If the only realistic alternative is Quark or a Quarklike application. Yes. HELL YES.
    JCPenfold likes this.

Werby is offline Member

Totally agree with Cory about how Quark blew it in terms of functionality and they were a nightmare to deal with for support, so in that sense I'm glad Adobe kicked their butt. However, has anyone noticed that you can't move as fast in InDesign? Selecting things and moving around in the document and actually getting LAYOUT done was actually easier and quicker in Quark? Maybe I just moved faster as a younger man, but I could fly through layout and prepress chores in seconds that now take minutes. Or is it just me?

OutSourceD is offline Member

Way back in 1992 when Hurricane Andrew hit Homestead, FL. I heard a story of an individual, a graphic designer, who's entire home and worldly possessions were literally blown away. He called Adobe who had his serial numbers on file, took pity on him and sent him new install disks of this lost Adobe programs, free of charge. He called Quark gave them the same sob story and they had his serial numbers on file, but pretty much told him where he could stick it. That's one very good reason why Quark is where they are today. They didn't care about their customers. I remember being treated as an annoyance on more than one occasion.
    kaiserwilhelm and JCPenfold like this.
    OutSourceD

Lukas Engqvist is offline Senior Member

@Werby comparing layout depends on what you want to do. A layout today is usually more complicated. Possibilities give rise to new demands. It is possible to make layouts very efficiently in InDesign as long as you sit and plan beforehand. The kind of layout that can be automated or semiautomated by good use of styles, templates etc… I just love completing good grind and watch layouts snap to place, and then the GREP formating taking care of patterns so that I don't need to worry about just in time fixes messing things up. You'd have to pay me extra for me to go back

RUsure is offline Junior Member

Default Yay, verily . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Engqvist View Post
    @Werby comparing layout depends on what you want to do. A layout today is usually more complicated. Possibilities give rise to new demands. It is possible to make layouts very efficiently in InDesign as long as you sit and plan beforehand. The kind of layout that can be automated or semiautomated by good use of styles, templates etc… I just love completing good grind and watch layouts snap to place, and then the GREP formating taking care of patterns so that I don't need to worry about just in time fixes messing things up. You'd have to pay me extra for me to go back
    . . . the "grind" is reward in, and of, itself. Having the toolset known as "Adobe Creative Suite" at one's disposal is life-affirming.
    It was great being able to do great work in PageMaker, Quark & InDesign - not having to provide the "just in time voodoo" is nice . . .

JaimeZ is offline Senior Member

Quark is still difficult to deal with. I upgraded my two Macs to Snow Leopard in August 2011. I had two licenses for Quark, but could only find one. Quark would not give me the time of day to get the other license, so I upgraded only one--they lost one upgrade sale. I just have one Mac with Quark and both have Adobe CS5.5--Adobe allowed me to upgrade both using licenses I had acquired through their now discontinued Provider Program (one CS3 and the other CS4).

Anyway, I don't get too many Quark files anymore, while I get many Indesign files.

Quark--R.I.P.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast