Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dub
    dub is offline Member

Default Overprint preview in Acrobat-how to make a PDF view the same without it on?

We have a customer that will not turn on their overprint preview mode in Acrobat Reader and will reject PDF proofs due to missing images etc. that are there once overprint preview is turned on.

How can I make a PDF out of AI CS3 that anyone can open and it will view the same in Acrobat with overprint preview on or off or even view correctly in Apple's Preview software?

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance for the info...

-Dub

Colorblind is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Overprint preview in Acrobat-how to make a PDF view the same without it

I think it's hopeless, rejecting a print-intended PDF because you don't want to set your Acrobat preferences properly is a bit like blaming McDonald's for belly pain after eating your Big Mac without unwrapping it first!
    Better train people and risk they leave - than do nothing and risk they stay.

beermonster is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Overprint preview in Acrobat-how to make a PDF view the same without it

when we create a pdf for a "proof" we put details above the artwork detailing how to set overprint on in reader, and a disclaimer stating failure to do so, and there's something you don't see, does not make us liable - pdf's must be viewed with overprint preview on.

stef is offline Junior Member

Seems that this is the reason why web-based soft proofing has been invented:

- No need to move files around
    - Better control of viewing conditions for content or color approval
    - Better tracking of approval statuses
    - Better control of content re-use
    - Annotations / E-mails / Advanced approval cycles ....

And probably many other great advantages.

Stephane.

leonardr is offline Senior Member

Just to add a minor note to this...

Adobe is well aware of the problem of inconsistent rendering of documents
    containing Overprinting in various readers (both ours and others). One way
    in which we would like to see the industry move forward in this regard is
    via the use of a standard that would say to a viewer - "you must ALWAYS
    preview Overprint". We believe that standard is PDF/X.

So if you are working with Overprint (either explicitly or implicitly),
    PLEASE be sure to create PDF/X compliant files.

Leonard

Colorblind is offline Senior Member

I understand your point Leonard, but supplying PDFx files doesn't solve the problem of having people not wanting (or just not knowing) to set "Overprint Preview" on. What would be good though is if Acrobat could read the PDFX tag when opening the file and automatically put the "Overprint Preview" on.
    Better train people and risk they leave - than do nothing and risk they stay.

rich apollo is offline Senior Member

Could there be a tag or switch put into PDFs that could trigger overprint preview, Leonard? Quark files have always carried some preference information, so something like that?

rich

Shawn is offline Senior Member

Hi Leonard

Rich has a great idea here. Acrobat already allows you to set other initial view information in the Document Properties. How about including an overprint setting here?

Shawn

pajdzn is offline Member

Default missing images

I have an additional question regarding the overprint issue. I have many files that have a problem printing images that are somehow involved with overprint. I discovered that when I go to print these pages and I look at the little preview window, the images in question are already missing! I found a white layer on top that is apparently used to feather the transparency into the background, which is usually a spot color. When I print these pages to a ps printer, the images disappear just like the preview shows. What is causing this and is there a solution?

Lukas Engqvist is offline Senior Member

PDF x is the tagg to trigger overprint preview. In Adobe reader a PDF x will view with overprint and simulate the output intent!

If you must there is also the option to simulate overprint when you create the file, this will turn the overprint into flattened CMYK data (well that is a simplified explanation). I allways send customers files with simulated overprint, since they will also print correct, or rather the same independant of postscript compatibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast