Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Prepress Salaries

JCPenfold is offline Junior Member

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...ppearing-jobs/

According to this, the median income for prepress is around $36K or $17.30/hr

I would say the $12-$20 range is accurate depending on location, company size and volume, and your experience level

Slice is offline Junior Member

Now you will know I am an old fart but in the 1980's some film prep people pulled in excess of $100,000 per year with heavy overtime. That created a demand for automation and the rest is now history. The last time people made really good money in print was the 80's.
    Colorblind likes this.

Visualaid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JCPenfold View Post
    America’s 10 Disappearing Jobs | Fox Business

According to this, the median income for prepress is around $36K or $17.30/hr

I would say the $12-$20 range is accurate depending on location, company size and volume, and your experience level
    um..that article..damn...
    i need a drink.

macdudeken is offline Member

I'd like to know the answer to this as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by guagee View Post
    What if you are expierienced with flexo offset and digital with management expierience.

ondemandbindery is offline Senior Member

If you are an experienced Prepress person and can find other work for $12.00 per hour then don't give some greedy owner the opportunity to take advantage of you and get out of the business. I have wrote the Paychecks for my own company and if a owner claims poverty with this type of pay it is only a matter of time before the doors close. You can still make decent money in the Industry and due to what has happened owners know they can take advantage of people. Oh how I wish something would change and give some power back to the employee. Wishful thinking I know but a good worker with knowledge is still valued. I really get on a soapbox with this topic.

As for what your worth is will depend on the market you are in and what your level of success has been. People know people in the Industry and if you are not a proven Manager you can throw that right out the window. It is a broad range of questions to ask but in the USA I would say a bare minimum of 40k yearly. Is that a high number? Maybe for the current market but IMO that is a low number. Prepress can make or break putting ink on paper!

JW

Quote Originally Posted by ondemandbindery View Post
    If you are an experienced Prepress person and can find other work for $12.00 per hour then don't give some greedy owner the opportunity to take advantage of you and get out of the business. I have wrote the Paychecks for my own company and if a owner claims poverty with this type of pay it is only a matter of time before the doors close. You can still make decent money in the Industry and due to what has happened owners know they can take advantage of people. Oh how I wish something would change and give some power back to the employee. Wishful thinking I know but a good worker with knowledge is still valued. I really get on a soapbox with this topic.

As for what your worth is will depend on the market you are in and what your level of success has been. People know people in the Industry and if you are not a proven Manager you can throw that right out the window. It is a broad range of questions to ask but in the USA I would say a bare minimum of 40k yearly. Is that a high number? Maybe for the current market but IMO that is a low number. Prepress can make or break putting ink on paper!

JW

I don't know what region you are in, but around here 40k is approaching the max, not the bare minimum. Due to the shaky job market, and a lack of appreciation for the skills that go into prepress, owners offer $12-15 to start because they know someone is desperate enough to take it. And when that person leaves, someone else just starting out or who needs a job badly enough will take it too. If people weren't willing to work for that amount, they would be forced to offer more, but why would they offer more money than they absolutely had to? Until the job market picks up enough that people aren't willing to work for that amount and then they'll be forced to offer more. If that ever happens. Jobs in this field are shrinking not growing, which leaves those of us still here fighting for the scraps. I happened to be very lucky - I walked into a job where they needed someone immediately and apparently couldn't find anyone (?) and they needed me more than I needed a job at that moment, which put me in a better position to negotiate.

ondemandbindery is offline Senior Member

I don't know what region you are in, but around here 40k is approaching the max, not the bare minimum. Due to the shaky job market, and a lack of appreciation for the skills that go into prepress, owners offer $12-15 to start because they know someone is desperate enough to take it. And when that person leaves, someone else just starting out or who needs a job badly enough will take it too. If people weren't willing to work for that amount, they would be forced to offer more, but why would they offer more money than they absolutely had to? Until the job market picks up enough that people aren't willing to work for that amount and then they'll be forced to offer more. If that ever happens. Jobs in this field are shrinking not growing, which leaves those of us still here fighting for the scraps. I happened to be very lucky - I walked into a job where they needed someone immediately and apparently couldn't find anyone (?) and they needed me more than I needed a job at that moment, which put me in a better position to negotiate.

I was also speaking terms of Management experience and what this Prepress person brings to the plate. Keep in mind that in order for the Press it has to have plates. Now there is always the option of farming it out but I guarantee that business practice is few and far between now. Alot of Bindery still gets sloshed around from time to time but Prepress is so important now. I could burn up some Bandwidth talking about it but hopefully if you have been in the game I don't need to do that.

As for the Salary, if you bring Management ability and a strong history of Prepress to the plate, 40k is not unrealistic if you are applying to a stable company. I will stick to my guns and still say that is a bargain for a thriving Printer even in the current market.

The market is shrinking and there is no turning back to the old way of Print. The time has come and gone and for anyone to start out in the Industry thinking it is all about Ink on Paper has sorely missed the mark. Newbies cost a company money and can make expensive mistakes and their pay is adjusted accordingly. This type of person will make 10.00 per hour. And yes you are right if you walk into a shop desperately needing a job you will get robbed come payday. Some owners look for these type of situations and you know who you are..... Just be aware that if you put yourself out there and take a tremendous paycut in your Trade you are doing what you have to but make another plan. Every payday will be irritating and it will wear you down. It will affect your attitude and performance. This is exactly why many people just say screw it and hit the Obama Gravytrain.

JW

That is very true about newbies making mistakes and costing a company money, but I guarantee 90% of the places out there would still hire a newbie at a cheaper rate than paying more money to someone with years of experience. In most cases, they don't have to though. With the job market being what it is, and places closing left and right, they can easily find someone with years of experience willing to take a crap wage just to put food on the table. Now granted, a lot of people are coming out of school with 4 year design degrees and no practical understanding of prepress or the printing process. I think that's why my bosses were having a hard time filling my job, they were getting all designers applying, not prepress people. They probably weren't looking very hard, with all the places that have closed around here recently they should have been able to find someone easily, but they were down to the wire and they needed someone, so that worked out for me. Technically, I am the manager of my department, but as I am the only person in prepress right now, that hardly matters. But I had very little previous management experience, every prepress department I've ever worked in has been just me, or me and one other person.
    Last edited by JCPenfold; 01-08-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123