Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burned by Quark

DCurry is offline Senior Member

Not sure how Q determines that - yet another reason to leave uncompressed and Keep Resolution.
    Dan Curry
    Prinergy 5.3 • Preps 5.3.3 + 6.3

Gregg is offline Senior Member

I went back and experimented a bit with Quark's export options. There was a big difference between their Automatic ZIP/JPG Low versus their Manual Zip 8-bit.

The manual zip method compressed an image to 44.36% of it's original size. The Automatic ZIP/JPG compressed the same image to 11.78% of it's original size, and there was noticeable quality loss. The Zip filesize was 4x bigger than the ZIP/JPG.

gig0 is offline Senior Member

Been there.

We still output from Quark to postscript and let Distiller or Prinergy generate the PDF's. LOL

MacTwidget is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gig0 View Post
    Been there.

We still output from Quark to postscript and let Distiller or Prinergy generate the PDF's. LOL
    The only problem is that Quark's flattening abilities is AWFUL. I've been burned a few times.

DCurry is offline Senior Member

I've had good luck with letting Q export direct to PDF since Q7 - can't remember any real issues popping up as long as you keep the compression off (or find your own magic formula.) Quark can maintain live transparency now, too, but you have to set the Prefs to keep it live rather than flatten.
    Dan Curry
    Prinergy 5.3 • Preps 5.3.3 + 6.3

Quote Originally Posted by MacTwidget View Post
    The only problem is that Quark's flattening abilities is AWFUL. I've been burned a few times.

In all truthfulness, you could be right. But in the same token, exporting as postscript has been less problematic for us. I like to play the percentages and will always choose the lesser of two evils. Especially if you're forced into importing one of those shitty Jaws based PDF's into InDesign. I think most of us have experienced that special time at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by DCurry View Post
    I've had good luck with letting Q export direct to PDF since Q7 - can't remember any real issues popping up as long as you keep the compression off (or find your own magic formula.) Quark can maintain live transparency now, too, but you have to set the Prefs to keep it live rather than flatten.

If I remember correctly, Prinergy put out a bulletin for Quark 7 users to export from Quark as a PDF, but set the PDF preferences to write to postscript instead. Ever since doing this, we never experienced half the issues we had exporting directly as a PDF. You can see why anyone would be gun shy. Either way, it works for us and haven't seen any major catastrophe because of it. Thats why we stick to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12