Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Automation?

Prepper is offline Senior Member

Default Automation?

Hi, we are a small company with 2 people in prepress, low volume and not much variety in what we print. We currently use Preps and our work consists mainly of 5.5x8.5 black only text for our web press and 6-color covers for those books and 4-color magazines on our sheetfed 6-8 times a year.

I guess what I'm asking is there any way to streamline our imposition with just Preps alone?

We create all our own files in-house with Indesign, export to PDF, place into Preps and impose. Our impositions are a little complicated in that our web is running them 2up, double parallel and so we put 2 different titles up on the templates when we can or run one title 2up when we don't have another to match with it.

I've thought of making master jobs for each sig combination we need and then just replacing the pages in the run list, or placeholder, with the current book. Is there anything further we could do with JDF and Preps alone? Or does using JDF require some other form of workflow in addition? Where can I learn about that or what the possibilities might be?

With our low volume and basically one or two types of jobs, are we doing the best we can, or need to, by just dropping the PDFs into Preps manually and outputting? My thoughts on this are to mostly streamline the checking stage where we know if the job is dropped into a certain Master template or job that it will be correct. We are our own customer so have to approve our own jobs, so we do a lot of checking that a customer would normally do and sign off on I guess in a commercial shop.

Thanks for any help.

Al Ferrari is offline Senior Member

Currently, what is the output from Preps, and what exactly do you do with it?

Al

Prepper is offline Senior Member

The output is PDF plate size files that go into a Xitron Navigator (Harlequin) rip and are output to plates in a Screen PTR-6600 setter.

jeffkin15 is offline Senior Member

is preps still scriptable? Haven't used it in years. If so, that might be an option.

geckowraps is offline Junior Member

Automation 2013 a four day automation event is set to introduce new and upcoming technology this year. Be it factory automation, robotics, drives and controls, logistics, hydraulics and pneumatics, Building automation, pumps and valves and software solutions, it is termed as India's biggest Automation show of the year. The show is dedicated to the introduction of the new automation techniques that can be used for supreme efficiency and productivity at various levels for different industries. As always, the industry is hungry for new technologies and this place gives you an opportunity to interact with the best of the technology minds.

rich apollo is offline Senior Member

Just did a quick search, and it looks like Preps is scriptable.

JDF would probably be generated through your RIP or your MIS system. I'm sure that there are modules that could be purchased.

You could look into Switch for automation. There's no configurator for Preps, that I'm aware of, but there is a configurator for inpO2. I think you could set up with inpO2 pretty inexpensively. The upside to working with Switch is that you could begin to look at automating other parts of your workflow, too.
    jeffkin15 likes this.

jeffkin15 is offline Senior Member

I forgot about the imp02 connector in switch. That is a great entry level solution for automation.

misterdavo is offline Junior Member

If you're interested in automation and latest generation tools, do take a look at Metrix. Full automation, full manual operation and everything in between. 98% of those buying Metrix are died-in-the-wool Preps users. Check it out if you're interested in knowing why.
    Davo
    www.metrixsoftware.com

buckeye is offline Senior Member

misterdavo,

I'm surprised that I don't read or hear more about Metrix on this forum. Preps has been the only imposition software that I've ever used and to this day I still hate it. You would think that after 10 plus years that I would have grown to like it. I've viewed the Metrix video's on-line, liked what I saw and have bent the "higher ups" ears about your product, but money is money.

-Erik
    margadri likes this.
    OS X 10.8.3 • Rampage 11.3 • Preps 5.3.3 • Javelin 8300 • Epson 9900 • KM C8000

PPT25 is offline Junior Member

Metrix rocks!
    WORKFLOW - PDF - METRIX - JDF - RAMPAGE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast