MrDHG is offline Junior Member

Default iMac running OS 10.8.3 can't connect to server

We have an older SGI server running Unix from aprrox 2002. Not sure what version of Unix that this is running. We are unable to connect to the server (AFP). Other Macs we have we can connect, but they are running 10.6 or 10.7. 10.6 connected no problem out of the box. For 10.7 we had to put some code in Terminal to connect. No big deal. It appears Apple has dropped support for AFP. Several calls to Apple support and it appears we are SOL. Did a lot of poking around doing web searches, but wasn't able to find a solution. Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything we can do to get this machine to connect?

At this point we may just send the Mac back and try to find a "newer" iMac that is running 10.7. Thanks Apple.

buckeye is offline Senior Member

Is SMB not an option to connect to the server? We purchased a MacMini with OS 10.8.3 and have resorted to mounting via SMB. It has its Pros (it allows long file names) and Cons (previously loaded Type 1 fonts, via AFP, won't work).

Erik
    Last edited by buckeye; 05-09-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    OS X 10.8.3 • Rampage 11.3 • Preps 5.3.3 • Javelin 8300 • Epson 9900 • KM C8000

SMB appears to not be an option as it won't connect.

rich apollo is offline Senior Member

What connection protocols are available on your SGI box? Can the new Mac "see" it? Can you connect from a Windows machine?

I just don't believe that AFP is the only way to connect to your Unix server.

I am speaking strictly about the new iMac running 10.8.3. The new mac can see the server if I ping through SSH. I cannot connect to it via AFP. SMB is not an option.

Paul Santer is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrDHG View Post
    We have an older SGI server running Unix from aprrox 2002. Not sure what version of Unix that this is running. We are unable to connect to the server (AFP). Other Macs we have we can connect, but they are running 10.6 or 10.7. 10.6 connected no problem out of the box. For 10.7 we had to put some code in Terminal to connect. No big deal. It appears Apple has dropped support for AFP. Several calls to Apple support and it appears we are SOL. Did a lot of poking around doing web searches, but wasn't able to find a solution. Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything we can do to get this machine to connect?

At this point we may just send the Mac back and try to find a "newer" iMac that is running 10.7. Thanks Apple.
    Have you tried following the support article instructions from Apple Connecting to legacy AFP services

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Santer View Post
    Have you tried following the support article instructions from Apple Connecting to legacy AFP services

Yes. Those instructions do not work for 10.8.3

buckeye is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrDHG View Post
    Yes. Those instructions do not work for 10.8.3
    I couldn't get it to work either, but I'm not very Terminal savvy so I figured I was just doing something wrong.

Erik
    OS X 10.8.3 • Rampage 11.3 • Preps 5.3.3 • Javelin 8300 • Epson 9900 • KM C8000

Stephen Marsh is offline Senior Member

Back in the classic days of Mac OS 7, the easiest/most reliable way for us to connect to some "foreign" servers was using FTP and the good old Fetch application.

Stephen Marsh

nicko1972 is offline Junior Member

not sure if this will work but go to
    preferences and choose:
    com.apple.AppleShareClient.plist
    drop down menu:
    then allow clear text in property list