Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    bgrubb7 is offline Junior Member

Default Which envelope feeder for a Quickmaster-46?

Looking at 2 different envelope feeders for our Quickmaster-46.

1. Astro 2000

2. Suspension Feeder's Unviversal Strate-Flo. This is the feeder that Heidelberg used to sell with the press. My only reservation is that the envelopes have to be fanned out rather than just dropped in the hopper, like the Astro.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Of course our Astro dealer says to stay away from the Suspension Feeder, and Vice versa from the other guys. We would probably occasionaly want to use it on our QMDI, but mostly just on the QM-46

Default Re: Which envelope feeder for a Quickmaster-46?

I installed an Astro feeder on a Heidy Printmaster about 3 months ago and they love it. I have installed many Astro 2000's over the years and they are great machines.

I have a customer that tried a Unviversal Strate-Flo for a few weeks on a 3302 and he finally settled on the Astro 2000 due to the fanning required and the ease of removing and storing of the machine.

The QMDI and the Astro I am not sure if the front apron will fit. I would highly suggest you call Astro Machine to verify all your questions about your application needs.

Regards
    OG

Ya, I just got off the phone with someone at Astro. No help whatsoever. Wouldn't answer any of my questions, only gave me a list of dealers.

I told the lady that I had already been in contact with several dealers, and none of them could answer my questions. She says."well, what kind of questions do you have?"

"a few, but specifically I need to verify that it will work with my QMDI in addition to my QM46"

"well, it won't", she replied

"really", I asked, "could you explain why it won't, since the feeders on both presses are very similar?"

"sorry I can't answer anymore of your questions"

"seriously?", I asked.

"seriously"

I hung up...

So basically if anyone can tell me why a Astro 2000 won't work on a QMDI classic, you'd be the first.

Also, If anyone knows any specific disadvantages of the Universal Strate-Flo, I'd love to hear that also.

gbrubb7

Well the Astro people are kind of dry and hard to talk to. But they make a great product.
    The Astro machine mount to the front apron of the feeder and or the pile height regulation may be a factor. The height of the feeder etc. I would recommend you get your dealer to set up a 3 way conference call and ask to speak to the tech support people at Astro and get your questions answered.
    The Astro is machine specific while the Universal is for any machine. It is all in the name.
    For instance a QM and a Print Master have different front mounts for the Astro. I deal with so many different types of people and personalities that it blows my mind as to how rude or helping they can be. Some people and companies have an attitude but Astro is good. There are other companies I deal with that they make me puke.
    Best of luck
    OG

I have an older Astro feeder on a 3302 for several years, and it works great!

I just checked out the Astro web site and notice that it says:

*Quickmaster and Printmaster run in Manual mode.

That's incredible! It can only mean that they have not bother to work out the design of a speed sensor pickup for these presses. Seems very odd. It only takes a sensor and a logic board. The sensor detects the passing of individual gear teeth on some gear on the press, and the logic board does a little math to convert that to machine cycles so that the feeder can be be run at a speed equal to the press.

What is the matter with those people?

Al

Al,
    I am sure the engineers at Astro have a good reason as to why it runs in Manual Mode. I mean you just turn a pot to tune the speed in to sync with the press.
    The main board on the 2000 has jumpers and adjustment pots that are probably tuned to all the machines they make the feeder for and maybe the Hiedy runs at a weird FPM. They use a Hall Effect sensor that may not work on the QM or the PM in auto mode. Or the sucker tube timing or the Hiedys Jam sensors may be affected.
    IMHO
    OG ÖÖ..If itís wet itís real printing if itís dry it Ďs copying
    Focus on the Donut and not the hole

I talked to a dealer this morning who was familiar with the situation. He says that Heidelberg has refused to work with Astro in the past to come up with a solution. Most likely this is because Heidelberg used to have an exclusive arrangement with Suspension Feeder for their envelope feeders.

There is a good price on a Astro AMC-2000 on ebay. It says its was used on a Ryobi 3202. Would it be possible to make it work on a QM-46 in manual mode?

Bgrubb7,
    The front part of the 2000 is sometimes made to accommodate a certain press. The conveyor maybe different or the hold downs and mounts are press specific. Also the stands are different heights and on and on. Astro is usually specific to one press model that you purchase. But they work and perform great for the model you purchase it for.
    Like I said the name Universal means that! It fits anything.
    I have installed many Astroís on ABDick,Ryobi,Hamada and Hiedys and they are different in the configuration of the front end.
    But I am just a humble offset guy and maybe someone else could modify a feeder from EBay to work for your purpose.
    Regards
    OG

We missed out on the auction anyways.

One major complaint that I have heard about the Suspension Feeder, is that you have to have at least 500 envelopes loaded in the machine to set it up, and then have an extra 500 loaded in at the end of your job to push the last one through. Is this accurate?

Is this not an issue with the Astro?

I just got ahold of a video of the Suspension Feeder setup. Yes, it does look like a pain. Look like it is more friendly to long runs, not short runs.

Does anyone have a video or a link of the Astro's setup or one in action?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast