Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Cornishpastythighs is offline Senior Member

Default Goodbye to MAN Roland

Are we now going to lose MAN ROLAND as a press manufacturer?

gordo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cornishpastythighs View Post
    Are we now going to lose MAN ROLAND as a press manufacturer?
    That seems to be the case. I imagine that their service facilities would spin off into a new business, but as far as press production is concerned it does not look good. Pity.

gordo

I must admit that when we were looking to buy a new press we looked at the big 4 Heidelberg,KBA,Komori and Man Roland and although both the KBA and Roland were at the top of the list we bought a more cost effective/best value for the money Komori

Erik Nikkanen is offline Senior Member

In the future, it is probably going to be shown that the press manufacturers of the 20th century consisted of some of the dumbest engineers on the planet. Providers of beautiful mechanical systems who had no idea or interest in how to make them a lot better. If a company is not working at making their own technology obsolete, then they eventually will not last.

The internet and the financial crunch has just sped up the process of failure that was well under way even though it was not observable to most. By not innovating enough, they allowed the digital printing technologies to get a foothold.

It is sad that so many people will be affected at manroland but their management had choices that might have helped them but they like many other press manufacturers were not interested to think differently.

True innovation is the only way to continually succeed. Maybe a smaller manroland, if they can survive in some form, will start to think differently. I don't expect that to happen though. It is sad.

Xlb
    Xlb is offline Junior Member

Default Man roland

Perfect ! Give the management bonuses and it is business usual.

Erik Nikkanen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nikkanen View Post
    In the future, it is probably going to be shown that the press manufacturers of the 20th century consisted of some of the dumbest engineers on the planet. Providers of beautiful mechanical systems who had no idea or interest in how to make them a lot better. If a company is not working at making their own technology obsolete, then they eventually will not last.

The internet and the financial crunch has just sped up the process of failure that was well under way even though it was not observable to most. By not innovating enough, they allowed the digital printing technologies to get a foothold.

It is sad that so many people will be affected at manroland but their management had choices that might have helped them but they like many other press manufacturers were not interested to think differently.

True innovation is the only way to continually succeed. Maybe a smaller manroland, if they can survive in some form, will start to think differently. I don't expect that to happen though. It is sad.
    It seems that Heidelberg stock price got a little spike today, probably from the manroland news.

printerpete is offline Member

i cant see that man will stop manufacturing presses, it just wouldnt happen, someone will stp in at the last minute and take it over

Alois Senefelder is offline Senior Member

Default A little History

Hello fellow Lithographers,

B]]Maschinenfabrik - Augsburg - Nurnberg A.G.[/B]

Sad news that MAN Roland is in insolvency. Hopefully 150 years of M. A.N history will survive, another famous name in printing press manufacture is involoved that of
    Faber & Schleicher the Roland name.
    I'm sad that Mr. Erik Nikkanen denigrates the efforts of these pioneers, who provided the means of a famous army -- which army?

"Twenty Six Soldiers of Lead that Conquered the World"

One more fact: the Augsburg factory of M. A. N. built Rudolph Diesel's first engine

PDFs - German Printing Press History

Regards, Alois
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alois Senefelder; 11-27-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: ****

Green Printer is offline Senior Member

Another one bites the dust. Some blame engineering other's management some the economy. AT this time in history it is the perfect storm and if any of the 2 before mentioned happened the third usually follows and before long the whole thing collapses. In the last 35 years,Adast, Meihle, Harris, Miller, Didde, Hamilton, Planeta, Hashimoto, Oris, Vickers, Crabtree, George Mann, ATF, Solna Sheetfed, Webendorfer, Davidson, Multi Graphics, consolidated, Nebiolo, PIvano, Auerilia, Baker Perkins, Shinohara, Hamada, Color King, along with many others have all gone by the wayside. I am surprised that the Mann group kept the Roland works going as long as it did.
    Last edited by Green Printer; 11-27-2011 at 10:54 PM.

On a lighter note , if you have ever run a Nebiolo or a Crabtree!! well I'll say no more

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast