Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GMB
    GMB is offline Junior Member

Default Designjet 5500PS resolution questions

I've recently acquired a used Designjet 5500PS, and am using the UV inks. My hope is to print large format photographs for display or sale. Currently I am trying out HP's quick dry universal glossy photo paper.
    My problem is that even when I set the printer options to Max Quality 1200x600 dpi, the image is very pointilized. If I print swatches of color, I don't get a continuous tone, but rather a speckled effect. If you look at the print from 3 feet away then it looks fine, but up close it is quite obvious.

Is there any adjustment I can make, either physically to the printer, or through software that will smooth out the speckles?

Thanks for your help!

I am not sure what you mean by Pointlized? If you mean Pixelated it is probably the resolution of your file.

GMB

No, it's not pixelated (as in file resolution artifacts). More like I can easily see all of the individual ink droplets on the medium, especially where there is a gradual transition in tone. Is this normal, or is it possible to make the tone smoother?

I assume you are printing from your desktop computer and not a RIP since you have the PS version. If so make sure you have the settings correct from the print dialog box. We don't have a 5500 anymore and I don't have any samples to look at.

GMB

I have tried it both from Lightroom/ Photoshop direct, using the onboard RIP, and using the Onyx RIP. Maybe someone out there still has this machine in service and can take a look at their IQ? Thanks for the help!

Stephen Marsh is offline Senior Member

I used to use a DesignJet 5500 a few years ago. We printed using a RIP and with the HP printer driver from PDF files. I don't remember that the dots were that noticeable when viewed at the intended viewing distance. From memory it is really dependent on the media. One has to have the correct driver and or RIP settings for the media at hand. The inkjet heads are a consumable item, so if there is a problem with the heads, the issue may be resolved over time as you replace the heads.

Stephen Marsh

caveman is offline Member

A way I have tried to make the effect less noticable is to create a media profile with a black start around 20-25. The black ink dots do most of the "damage" so, by cutting black from light tones you get a better looking result (the term "peppering" is used for this effect).

hope it helps

GMB

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    A way I have tried to make the effect less noticable is to create a media profile with a black start around 20-25. The black ink dots do most of the "damage" so, by cutting black from light tones you get a better looking result (the term "peppering" is used for this effect). hope it helps
    Hey thanks! I'll play around with this a bit and see if it makes a difference.

M&M Displays is offline Member

Don't know how far you are from Philadelphia but we have an HP 5500 NON PS we are selling for $250.00. It has a full set of ink. It last ran about a year ago.

GMB

Thanks, I'll think a bit about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast