Are J75's still worth buying?

For those questioning why I want to buy a ‘spare’ printer…

Engineer came out yesterday to look at the issue of the marks on the backs of sheets. Said it’s likely the 2nd btr but caused by our environment (the room the printer is in doesn’t have any windows so relies on air con…he suggested leaving the air con on 24/7 when it’s hot to stop the toner clumping)….ok, a spike in electricity costs but if it keeps the Xerox running properly, fine.

Didn’t use the printer at all after the engineer left, came to use it today to print 27 different orders and the printer is showing error 099-339 which is a generic fuser error. Have tried powering the printer off a few times and the error comes on as soon as the printer turns on.

I’m half wondering whether the engineer yesterday hasn’t seated the fuser correctly or something so will have a look at that but in the meantime I’ve logged yet another service call as the printer is not functioning once again.

I’m starting to really hate this printer and deeply regret selling my very low usage Konica C3070.

Engineer came out yesterday to look at the issue of the marks on the backs of sheets. Said it’s likely the 2nd btr but caused by our environment (the room the printer is in doesn’t have any windows so relies on air con…he suggested leaving the air con on 24/7 when it’s hot to stop the toner clumping)….ok, a spike in electricity costs but if it keeps the Xerox running properly, fine.

Didn’t use the printer at all after the engineer left, came to use it today to print 27 different orders and the printer is showing error 099-339 which is a generic fuser error. Have tried powering the printer off a few times and the error comes on as soon as the printer turns on.

I’m half wondering whether the engineer yesterday hasn’t seated the fuser correctly or something so will have a look at that but in the meantime I’ve logged yet another service call as the printer is not functioning once again.

I’m starting to really hate this printer and deeply regret selling my very low usage Konica C3070.
I don’t think anyone is questioning a spare printer, but would the proposed J75 not be susceptible to the same environmental variables that your technician claims are the issue (I don’t know exactly your environment but I’ve heard all the excuses by techs…check the customer expectations document…if your environment is within those specs, then I call bs)…so will likely have the same problems? And be broken more simply because it’s old and worn out.

I don’t think anyone is questioning a spare printer, but would the proposed J75 not be susceptible to the same environmental variables that your technician claims are the issue (I don’t know exactly your environment but I’ve heard all the excuses by techs…check the customer expectations document…if your environment is within those specs, then I call bs)…so will likely have the same problems? And be broken more simply because it’s old and worn out.
Our Versant 80 is in a room upstairs with no windows etc. if we got a ‘spare’, it would be down in our main production area which has loads more ventilation/airflow/etc.

I am fully up for the fact that a J75 might not be the right answer but the engineer I spoke to was getting at the type of fuser in the J75 or the C60 is ‘better’ for not being used as often, or just printing a few sheets at a time.

To be honest, the way I’m feeling about my Versant 80, I don’t really ever want to touch another Xerox machine. I love the thing when it works. It does a great job with registration using SIQA (though baffles me why they didn’t make the scanner SRA3 so you could take full advantage of the auto alignment).

I’m now actively looking to see what else I can get refurbished. Might see if I can get a KM C1060/2060.

I think your biggest issue is the tech
yes the room its in might be effecting the machine due to its environment
might want to keep a fan in there running all the time to circulate airflow
BTR and fuser belt issues are regular things that go wrong with the machine and thats what you have
both take 30 seconds to change and the tech should have both parts with him all the time

I think your biggest issue is the tech
yes the room its in might be effecting the machine due to its environment
might want to keep a fan in there running all the time to circulate airflow
BTR and fuser belt issues are regular things that go wrong with the machine and thats what you have
both take 30 seconds to change and the tech should have both parts with him all the time
Thing is, the fuser belt was changed within the last 2 weeks so I can't see it being the belt. 2ndBTR... yes, I agree about and the engineer did say yesterday that even if they put a new 2ndBTR in, because of the room environment it'd probably go bad again quite quickly. He also said the 2ndBTR are meant to do 600K+ impressions and we all know that's never gonna happen.

the btr never do 600K
they now last till end of life
there is no longer any btr issues like before
the issue is depending on the sheet size and coverage the sump on the btr only hold 300,000 impressions of waste and then it starts to spill out
what I dont understand is why those jackasses would let you put a machine in an environment that negative to its operation
In any place where there is no air flow I mandate a customer to put a fan
also machine needs to be at least 10 inches from the wall

This is only true if you NEVER run coated stock and only run uncoated stock. There is still an issue with the 2nd BTR when duplexing coated stock, it's a fact and there isn't a solution to get a decent life out of the 2nd BTR. In the last 3 years the longest the 2nd BTR has lasted in my Versant 280 is 50,000 clicks and that's probably a stretch because I swap in an old one when I run envelopes just to be nice to my dealer and get some more life out of it.

If you have a suggestion I'm open to all, but please don't say my tech doesn't know what he's doing or he hasn't run this or that routine. Be specific as to how I would possibly get a 2nd BTR to last until end of life.

the btr never do 600K
the issue is depending on the sheet size and coverage the sump on the btr only hold 300,000 impressions of waste and then it starts to spill out
what I dont understand is why those jackasses would let you put a machine in an environment that negative to its operation
In any place where there is no air flow I mandate a customer to put a fan
also machine needs to be at least 10 inches from the wall
I’m sorry but you clearly have no clue. Firstly, a btr being good til end of life is an absolute joke.

Second, put a fan in a room without ventilation and all you are doing is pushing the same warm air around. We have an air source air conditioning system which has a big unit outside and can be temperature controlled so the environment itself isn’t ‘negative’ as long as the air con is running.

Anyway, I took a look at the fuser to see if there was an obvious issue and lo and behold, the fuser belt (that was brand new 2 weeks ago) is shredding.

So, now waiting for the tech to come and replace the belt again but need to try and work out why it’s shredded a brand new belt.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    821.8 KB · Views: 26
I’m sorry but you clearly have no clue. Firstly, a btr being good til end of life is an absolute joke.

Second, put a fan in a room without ventilation and all you are doing is pushing the same warm air around. We have an air source air conditioning system which has a big unit outside and can be temperature controlled so the environment itself isn’t ‘negative’ as long as the air con is running.

Anyway, I took a look at the fuser to see if there was an obvious issue and lo and behold, the fuser belt (that was brand new 2 weeks ago) is shredding.

So, now waiting for the tech to come and replace the belt again but need to try and work out why it’s shredded a brand new belt.
This used to happen to our former Konica like clockwork. I found out the tech had DROPPED the fuser unit before I was here. Then I fought with the service manager for another year to get the entire fuser unit replaced instead of playing games. Big reason why I’m not a KM customer anymore.

well if you know your environment is an issue why would you put the copier there
sounds like its in the dungeon
I would assume that it would have a door to get some circulation
unfortunately sounds like xerox still uses the non modified btr assemblies which dont last
maybe this time he can actually rebuild the fuser and look into the real problem

Not questioning a second printer. I have two identical machines and wouldn't want to be without a second one for inevitable downtime and partial downtime due to quality issues.

Just questioning whether a used old machine without service is going to be something you can actually depend upon when your main press is down.

I'm not an expert but it sounds like your biggest problem with this machine is your service provider and I suspect they may be fobbing you off constantly.

I had an issue recently where prints would come out tinged pink on one machine after a few hundred impressions. First tech said it was atmospheric due to being near the window. Second tech laughed and immediately said it was a simple drum replacement needed. Fixed it immediately.

Whilst I'm not pretending atmospheric conditions are not important as they can cause many issues, it's also a very easy cop out for techs to blame an annoying or expensive fault on.

I would push that tech for more detail on his claim that it is atmospheric. Is there a specified operating window for temperature, humidity etc for the machine to operate within? If so, what is it. At what point in temperature or humidity will those issues start happening. If they can't back up the reason why they are denying the fix with actual evidence, escalate.

At the same time do some air quality monitoring. Get a smart thermometer/air quality meter which will give you constant data logging on how warm, humid, pure etc the air in the room is and see if it is within spec. These devices are cheap now.

Nothing shuts up bullshitters like asking them to substantiate their claims and having solid irrefutable data

There's an arm on the opposite side of where the damage is on your belt. It's underneath the fuser assembly and the belt needs to run up against this arm. The arm is part of the belt position sensor. The belt moves around slightly back and forth on the rollers and the sensor makes sure it doesn't go too far in either direction. Could be as simple as the belt wasn't centered when installed or the sensor is bad or not working properly.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but some of the orange debris looks large. If it is large chunks and not from the fuser belt, then it's from the pressure roller under the fuser unit. I had one go bad and the roller was damaged and falling apart at the one end. This could cause the belt to go off track too.

The press will heat up more if the suction filter is plugged with toner. I take mine out and clean it (outside with a small leaf blower) because my dealer doesn't have the filter on my supply list like Xerox direct did. The tech will replace it when I ask but I do try to keep it from plugging. The recommended temperature range is 68-76° F/20-24° C with RH at 45% (listed in CED) and the upper limit is 90° F/32° C. Keep it at the recommended range and they can't complain about environmental conditions.

Well.. I'm in USA, Chicago area.. Illinois.. Your 4pm is my 10am. Send me the files, I'll print them for you, ship UPS/DHL whatever, back to you for your next day. (Or couple/3 days.) Beats 2 weeks.
Canon IX 3200. Canon ImagePress V1350. Just a thought.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back