fingerprinting blues part 1

beanz

Good Morning!

here is what i plan to do:

1.assure proper machine condition.
2.check material compliance to standard (LAB of ink, paper, etc.)
3.run to Lab targets for CMYK.
4. take note of densities where LAB targets were achieved.
5. read the tone value step charts to get my origin profiles.
6. formulate a correction curve to bring my TVIs to fogra 39.
7. make a validation run using the obtained densities using the corrected plates, validate if dot profile is within fogra 39.

so my question is.....

what test chart can i include in my test print so that someday when we acquire an i1pro2 spectrophotometer, i can return to my test print, read it MANUALLY and build an icc profile for my proofer. do you guys know which test charts i can use to manually read an icc profile so i can make a profile later.

These things are very new to me, so feel free to unleash your fury at my noobness. any and all suggestions shall be appreciated :)

Regards,
beanz

The test chart will depend on the profiling package.

Some packages use proprietary charts, others may use standard charts – or both.

If you are going to be hand scanning the charts with an i1pro2, then you may need to strike a balance between the accuracy of using more columns/rows – vs. the time taken to measure the chart, keeping in mind that you will likely be averaging readings from multiple sheets from a single or perhaps multiple runs for each stock/condition that you are fingerprinting.

P.S. Make sure that the chart and software that you use *can* be read by hand/manually without an iO table. In addition to the chart, for most software you will also likely need a chart “reference” text/data file matching the chart, describing the patch count/size, colours etc.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
It sounds like you are setting up the press to print Fogra39 conditions.

The full fingerprinting is often done to verify the press setup, not to create a proofing profile for a specification (unless a custom house target condition).

Most will simply use one of the commonly available ISO Coated v2 or Fogra39 profiles as their proofing simulation target.

It is then up to the (variable) press to align to the proof (a fixed target).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
It is then up to the (variable) press to align to the proof (a fixed target).

Yes, and they will have to, because TVI varies according to the amount of varying ink coverage that happens to be in line with the tint patch of the color bar of each process color, on any given job.

One job may have 0% in line with a 50% C patch and the next 95%, the TVI will not be the same. Having pressSIGN here and being able to watch TVI variation based on what's in-line with the colorbar patches, or from morning startups to afternoon shutdowns, or from short runs of 5k or less compared to long runs of 100k, I find it difficult to imagine that there is any such thing as an "average" condition. So the very thing that is supposed to help me with being able to build curves on the fly and apply them, pinpoints the possible futility of that endeavor. Also, has the pressman asking me to adjust the curves for him, from run to run, which is just chasing your tail because you're adjusting curves for the last run, has little to do with the next run and it's coverage. It may or may not be similar. Similar, but needing adjustments to match the proof.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back