Pantone in the future

jcallison

I'm not talking about Pantone Connect, this is something all together different and possibly coming in the future... has anyone heard anything about Pantone doing away with swatch books and forcing printers to subscribe or purchase licenses for each press station? Something like going strictly digital and anyone wanting to even look at a PMS color would need to pay first.

This is the Adobe playbook. Adobe is probably making a lot more money per user than they were in the past, but when you get too cocky and start upping the costs (and your margins), you may create too much of an opportunity for someone to swoop in and steal your whole business model by doing it better for less money. (Canva)

I hope the exact same thing happens to Pantone. They are such a dog shit company. Fuck the stupid ass Pantone Connect app.

I wouldn't doubt that Pantone would try to do what you are describing. Who cares if they creates hours of frustration for..."More than 10 million designers and producers around the world rely on Pantone products and services to help define...", as long as they get more money!

Focus on making things easier, not harder for people!

And Canva added Affinity Serif to their products. Adobe has got to be really worried.
A little more marketing effort by an open source color system replacement will probably take the shine off for Pantone.
Pantone can copyright the 'number system' but not the reflected light value.
If I was independently wealthy I would take that on as a mission.
YMMV

And Canva added Affinity Serif to their products. Adobe has got to be really worried.
A little more marketing effort by an open source color system replacement will probably take the shine off for Pantone.
Pantone can copyright the 'number system' but not the reflected light value.
If I was independently wealthy I would take that on as a mission.
YMMV
Hopefully the software revolution that is coming will replace more than just Pantone!

My experience certainly isn’t reflective of everyone’s, but it seems like when the pantone libraries disintegrated from Adobe cloud, our customers did not choose to subscribe to Pantone connect - they just quit calling out PMS spot colors in their files. It’s not been a problem for us. I have some decade old printed swatches as well as my Fiery library to reference if necessary.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back