PDF Color Conversion Best Practices

Pivot Kristen

Hello All,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and better! I did a search of the forums and didn't find my exact question. I'm preparing a PDF best practices document for the designers in my department, and I want to make sure that I'm giving them the best recommendation regarding color management. I am based in the USA.

For most projects we send final print files to the client. They then either print the document in house, or send it to their preferred vendor. In most cases, we do not have access to who the printer is.

In terms of color management, I am most curious about how to make a recommendation for Output in the Save as PDF window. It is my understanding that many printers can do a better job of converting RGB images to CMYK than the standard US SWOP coated profile, so I think we could get good results from choosing [No Color Conversion] when exporting from Illustrator or InDesign to PDF. However, given that we really don't know who or where the files are being printed, I'm not sure that's the best policy.

So I'm wondering if it would be better to keep the [Convert to Destination] and leave things US SWOP Coated because of that uncertainty. Another option would be to use GRAcOL for coated paper, FOGRA for uncoated, and US Newsprint for newspapers for better results, assuming we know the type of paper they are printing on.

Does anyone have any advice for me? We've been sending things out with [Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers)] and haven't gotten any complaints from the clients, but if there is a better output that will give better color, I'd like to use it.

Thanks,

Kristen

Hi Kristen

First thing I would say is don't rush into changes but I think you do need to rationalise what you're doing and read up a bit.
As you've asked the questions you're obviously on this journey.
Below are the general best practices, others may argue!, and links to Ideal Alliance and their guides and explanations.

Always convert to CMYK for files to printers as you wont know if they honour RGB profiles or what rendering intents will be used.
You won't be able to proof and assume that's what you get back. RGB elements in pdfs as per PDF/X-4 can work but only if you know the printer well.

If you don't know who the printer is or what paper type then Gracol 2013 (larger color gamut than Swap) may be best. If you do know the Printer/Paper again it's best to talk to the printer.
Even when you know it will be uncoated the printer may assume you've sent a Coated file and reconvert.

http://www.idealliance.org/downloads/swop2013-and-gracol2013-icc-profiles
http://www.idealliance.org/downloads/gracol-2013-adobe-color-settings-files
http://idealliance.informz.net/idealliance/data/images/M1 WF_Paper Guidelines r14.pdf

Hope this helps

Malcolm

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back