Best way to do sequential numbering for raffle tickets, etc.

bgrubb7

I know that PrintShopMail will do it, but I was wandering if there was a less expensive solution out there so that I could get numbered tickets (usually 4-up) right off the Xerox. I just want to avoid having to go the the Windmill after trimming and doing it the old fashion way. There is a tiny little copy shop here in town that is doing it, and am willing to bet that they are not using PrintShopMail, but I'm also not going to ask them to share their methods with a competitor. There has to be cheaper solution. I know that I can do it with auto page numbering in Indesign, but that means I can only print raffle tickets 1-up which wont work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Best way to do sequential numbering for raffle tickets, etc.

I have used Filemaker Pro in the past to do what you are after.

Check out Fusion Pro Desktop, that is what we use, it will impose them in cut order for you as well. Not to mention all the other stuff it does with VDP.

Another fan of Fusion Pro Desktop here. This is exactly what you need. We have sold both PrintShop Mail and Fusion Pro Desktop for this very application (numbering) and other VDP applications. Fusion Pro Desktop easily beats PrintShop Mail from both a price and performance viewpoint. You could also try Printer's Bench http://www.elkriversystems.com/ProductsList.aspx for a good entry level package

You can use data merge in INDY, you'll need to create some sort of numbering system with excel,

(so if you have tickets 4 up, and want 400 numbers make 4 columns in excel, column one will contain numbers 1 to 100, etc.)

save as a .csv, import to Indy in the data merge window

create a text box on each ticket, then link each box to a column from the excel spreadsheet, generate the document, print, cut, stack.

There is very simple solution that we use and that is to lay out the sheet say 6 up on a A4 sheet as a master page and in document setup set the number of pages to 1,000 if that is the amount you require. Put a page number on each ticket on the page and although they will all have the same number on each page, we put the the first two letters of the customers business name before each number followed by the letters of the alphabet so it then reads for example BT1A, BT2A, BT3A, BT1B, BT2B, BT2C and so on as each page is printed.

Easy Numbering 123 is named appropriately. I downloaded the software and tried 1 test job. I printed out a bunch of sample tickets with no problem. It's just one job, but tickets don't get to complicated so it should work for us too.

I use Auto Number from Quality Press Software for numbering raffle tickets, gift cetificates etc. It works great and is inexpensive.
They have Mac and PC versions. Here is the link to their site
[http://qualitypresssoftware.com/]

We use the auto page numbering trick here, the trick is to do it as spreads. You just make your pages the same size as the ticket with crops and bleeds. Then set up the shell on the master page and place your auto page number where you want your numbers. Each pages is the next number. You can also have two sets of numbers for perforated ticket. You then can use the page start options to add to the numbers and keep the same number of total numbers. For example you would do a new page start after number 99. 0001 to 0099 so it doesn't add two "0's" to the front of 100 and you get 00100 when you want 0100. Works great for small quantities, we have done up to 1000+ tickets and once you do it once or twice it is a snap to set up. To avoid having to do 1000 pages just send the tickets in groups. Usually between 25 to 100 at a time works good depending on artwork file size. Just save each time before sending to printer and name the file with what the tickets are. Like "MyTickets-0001-0100.Indd". Makes it easier to go back if you have a problem. You can even do two rolls of tickets if your using 12 x 18 sheets by flipping the sheet and doing one row along the top and one along the bottom on reverse side. That is if your ticket is single Sided. Two sided tickets are a bit trickier. :)

I know that PrintShopMail will do it, but I was wandering if there was a less expensive solution out there so that I could get numbered tickets (usually 4-up) right off the Xerox. I just want to avoid having to go the the Windmill after trimming and doing it the old fashion way. There is a tiny little copy shop here in town that is doing it, and am willing to bet that they are not using PrintShopMail, but I'm also not going to ask them to share their methods with a competitor. There has to be cheaper solution. I know that I can do it with auto page numbering in Indesign, but that means I can only print raffle tickets 1-up which wont work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Cory,
I'm planning on selling numbering templates that I creates using page layout and imposition software.
I print and number tickets at the same time, then just cut and stack (no colating).
I save/print/create the original document as an overlay in the print driver.
Then I run the pdf numbering templates to the copier with the original file as an overlay.
If you tell me your specs (ticket size/place for number/quantity of tickets),
I can see if I have a template for you or I can make one for you.
Standard template = $25
Custom template = $50
I have to create a listing of all my standard templates (I'm just starting to sell them)
but off the top of my head I know I have:
Standard ticket is 4.25 x 2.5 (8 up) with numbers running from 1-300, 1-500, 1-1000
Standard ticket is 4.25 x 5.5 (4 up) with numbers running from 1-250, 1-500, 1-1000
I have raffle ticket numbered templates also.
You can email me at [email protected].

it can be done with almost any software that has print merge function (we use corel draw a lot for such jobs). you create a excel file with numbers, and merge them into design. once you learn it it is easy and fast.

I use a little program called "Number It" I purchased on E-bay a couple of years ago. It will print the ticket (from bmp file) and number on the Canon 3200 in one pass. BW or Color. Nice little program and well worth the $50-80 price.

The learning curve was a bit steep but once I got the hang of it - no problem. Print, perf & cut....can have 1000 tickets done in an hour if necessary. You can change number size, font, color, alpha prefix, add pix & graphics.......

Can my customers buy it - yes.....BUT, can they figure it out - probably not.

"Number Machine" PC Numbering for tickets

:confused: CORRECTION
1-6-09 - Whoops! - Auto Number is the one I use not Number It! That's what I get for not looking and answering from home.
I've made 2 up, 4 up, 6 up and 8 up double numbered tickets with no major problems on my Canon 3200 copier.
AUTO NUMBER> QUALITYPRESSSOFTWARE.COM

Sue

Last edited:
I used to use Number It but I thought it was a pain in the neck and if 1 sheet messed up it was hard to reprint the 1 sheet.
I like my technique because I print and number at the same time and if I mess up 1 sheet, I just to to that page in the pdf file and reprint it very easily.

Fusion Pro Desktop is ideal for this application, is inexpensive and easy to use, and could open the door for other work besides numbering.

I used to use Number It but I thought it was a pain in the neck and if 1 sheet messed up it was hard to reprint the 1 sheet.
I like my technique because I print and number at the same time and if I mess up 1 sheet, I just to to that page in the pdf file and reprint it very easily.

:)
Yes, it is a pain to reprint one or two sheets if you have closed the file. I've learned to leave the file open on the desktop until the tickets are finished. This way if the perf, or cutter messes up I can easily reprint those ticket numbers without re-aligning the art & numbering.

Sue

Fusion Pro Desktop is ideal for this application, is inexpensive and easy to use, and could open the door for other work besides numbering.

It sounds great. I'd love to buy and learn it but I'm a (real) small shop and with money and time constraints, it's hard to buy and learn everything I'd like to.

My templates are for shops like me who don't want to spend $600 on new software just to do some simple tickets on the fly, fast and cheap!

One of my templates is only $25 so for any shop that just wants to boost production on a small item that doesn't really make much profit, it's a good solution and all the work is already done for them.

I know that PrintShopMail will do it, but I was wandering if there was a less expensive solution out there so that I could get numbered tickets (usually 4-up) right off the Xerox.

do you have a Fiery RIP? You can also do it with Fiery's FreeForm

Yes, I used Freeform first, then the KM overlay.
How do you print the numbers? Do you do cut and stack imposing?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back