Xerox DocuColor 7000AP/8000AP - Looking for feedback.

Dammacx

Just looking to get some hands on feedback about the Xerox DocuColor 7000AP or 8000AP. We are considering it here as an upgrade/work beside to our 6060. Currently we have a lower volume but have a quality demanding client base and the owner wants to have a machine that can keep up when needed. A couple of 5000's were considered but we run a lot of heavier stock that the 5000 wouldn't be able to handle.

Looking for feed back on all aspects of the machine like Overall Color, Color Consistency, Print Quality and constancy, Printing of Heavy Solids, Finish, Paper you have run on it, Any extras you got with it like finishing units. Did you get a good click charge, etc...

Also any feed back anyone has about their 6060?

Re: Xerox DocuColor 7000AP/8000AP - Looking for feedback.

Dean, I got my 8000AP installed in late November and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has been absolutely flawless since install and we have about 57000 on it now. Like you our volumes are small and I thought this would be overkill, but after I put 20000 in the last 2 days I am pleases. We went from a CLC4000 to this. The color consistency has been less than 2 Delta E from first to last sheet printed. I have duplexed over 270 gsm even thought it is rated at 220 gsm. In All Weights mode it will run at 1200 duplexed impressions per hour for 12x18 220 gsm. The registration from front to back is less than .5mm. I have the secondary feed module and high capacity stacker.

Like Nike said JUST DO IT!!!!

Are you guys able to give an idea of the click charges on the 7000AP that you got from xerox for the full colour printing?

It's a bit of a loaded question because a lot of it is based on your volume, I have read posts on forums ranging from .05 to .15 per click. The best answerer is to contact your Xerox rep. and have them figure based on your volume.

Craig, I noticed in your answer that you are printing over 270 gsm at a 220 gsm rate!!!
I just bought a DC5000, upgraded it to an AP with FreeFlow DocuSP 6.X.
I get a stock mismatch error when selecting any stock over 220 gsm on the FreeFlow. So I’m printing 300 gsm on a 220 gsm rate. The Xerox supports are scratching their heads. Are you having the same issue?!?! They’ve reloaded the software and the necessary batches but the problem still exist. Thanks.

Ralph65,
Are you referring to duplexing over 220 gsm? if so according to the latest CED for the 8000AP there is a custom paper set-up approved and provided by Xerox for duplexing over 220gsm. The software will still not allow you to select 300gsm for duplexing though. We use Custom Paper 1 for this setting.

Now if you are talking about the flat out print speed, you need to go into your tools and make sure you have selected "All Weights" mode.

Thanks Craig! Yes, I’m referring to duplexing over 220 gsm. So it’s a software thing then. Even when I store above 220 gsm custom paper, the software will not allow me to use it for duplexing.

Do you get accurate registration when duplexing on all the papers when running a job on your 8000AP? I don’t get that on my 5000AP… the crop marks don’t line up on all the pages on the same side… some marks shift about 2mm or so although the registration profile I’m using on the same type of paper prints an accurate registration.

Are you saying that the image is moving on the sheet from page to page or that the front to back registration is off? My image registration from sheet to sheet is +/- .5mm, sometimes I will need to adjust front to back registration on different papers.

Ralph65,
Here is the custom paper set-up for the 8000AP. I have Paper Tray 4 set to select this when switched to Transparency.

Base Range of Paper type = 187-220 gms
2nd BTB - Side 1 = 100% Side 2 = 90%
Decurler Penetration Amount = Type A
Aligner NIP Pressure = 0
Air Assist = Operate

Again this is the Xerox recommended setup for 300gsm duplex for the 8000AP.

Great info Craig, I’ll add the custom paper set-up tomorrow… I really appreciate it. Yes I mean the image is moving on the sheet from page to page… sometimes it moves closer to 2mm when printing on 300gsm papers and this not good at all when printing fancy business cards with texts or images closer to the edges… a customer returned his cards 2 days ago because the place of the text near the edges was not the same on all of the cards. Otherwise it’s a great machine and it’s been a wonderful 3 weeks so far.

Have you brought this up to your service engineer? There may be a mechanical issue as well.

the issue's been resolved and i'm getting almost accurate registration now… great machine so far. thanks!

craig, i have one question regarding 8000 model: we've had DC250, now running the X700 but due to probelms with it thinking about switching over to 7000/8000 model. One thing that bothers me a lot is the marks of the rubber paper carrying wheels on the prints, especially the ones with full color coverage. This happened on 250 and after some 50k prints is very visible also on the 700, in happens an all appers but mostly seen on coated ones.
So, ever noticed something like it on the 8000? What are the downsides of the machine?

I have not noticed anything like what you are describing. The only real downside is the time it takes to cycle between paper settings. In other words switching from 270gsm to 90gsm, the press will cycle for 6 to 8 min. before the first print. Other than that I really don't have a lot of complaints.

craig, i have one question regarding 8000 model: we've had DC250, now running the X700 but due to probelms with it thinking about switching over to 7000/8000 model. One thing that bothers me a lot is the marks of the rubber paper carrying wheels on the prints, especially the ones with full color coverage. This happened on 250 and after some 50k prints is very visible also on the 700, in happens an all appers but mostly seen on coated ones.
So, ever noticed something like it on the 8000? What are the downsides of the machine?

I would do more testing before you commit to a 8000 which is a lot of money, we got samples done from both the 5000 and 8000 and chose the 5000 caus we thought it had better print quality.

Ian

the time it takes to cycle between paper settings. In other words switching from 270gsm to 90gsm, the press will cycle for 6 to 8 min. before the first print.
What do you mean by that? If I print 10 sheets on 300 gsm stock and then wish to print a matchprint of poster on 100gsm it will take me at least 5 minutes to get it? Never heard of something like this.

How do you set the print / tray if you want a job to cycle among trays? I'd like to check on our X700 if it has the same function.

I appreciate all your help and comments!

Yup, whatever the press is doing to make the change from stock to stock it takes quite a while. This is more noticeable in All Weights mode, but once it makes the change it flies!

As for cycling amongst trays as long as you have the trays set the same it will auto switch. I can have all 4 the same or different it doesn't matter.

7000AP printing problems

7000AP printing problems

Hi,

I found this reply on the forum in search of information concerning 7000AP print settings with adjustments in charge % per side. You mention that the info below is recommended by Xerox, do you have more of these settings available or do you know where to find them?

Thanks,

Martin

Ralph65,
Here is the custom paper set-up for the 8000AP. I have Paper Tray 4 set to select this when switched to Transparency.

Base Range of Paper type = 187-220 gms
2nd BTB - Side 1 = 100% Side 2 = 90%
Decurler Penetration Amount = Type A
Aligner NIP Pressure = 0
Air Assist = Operate

Again this is the Xerox recommended setup for 300gsm duplex for the 8000AP.

These settings are in the CED provided by Xerox. As for 2nd BTB settings I don't seem to be able to get a straight answer what exactly they do. Just told to try it, if it works good, if not try another setting.

What is the configuration on the 700 you have? What kind of finisher? I saw another post saying that the roller marks were from the finisher and that the Hi Cap Stacker would mark prints. I am curious because I am looking at the 700 with the Hi Cap.

Thanks,
Jerod.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back