Cannon Imagepress C7000VP

Mark

Going to see a demo of the Cannon Imagepress C7000VP next week. Anyone have any experiences with this copier... oops, digital press? Or Canon equipment? Thanks in advance.

Re: Cannon Imagepress C7000VP

> {quote:title=Mark wrote:}{quote}
> Going to see a demo of the Cannon Imagepress C7000VP next week. Anyone have any experiences with this copier... oops, digital press? Or Canon equipment? Thanks in advance.

Make sure to give a detailed report of what you thought of it. :)

We've had our Canon C7000 for a couple months now and absolutely love it!

I can honestly say this was the first install I've experienced where the techs came in, set the machine up for two days, and we didn't have to place a single service call for two weeks!

The quality is phenomenal. We've got a Hamada B452A which has a deplorable track record when it comes to roll recovery issues when printing solid areas of color. Our C7000 has been a godsend. I can't keep track of how many times we've had to pull jobs from our Hamada and run them on our Canon. We're beginning to wonder if we should just get rid of our Hamada after seeing what the Canon is capable of. What used to take days of proofs, plates, ink drying etc. now takes a matter of hours with our Canon. Our Direct Smile VDP work is just as beautiful off our Canon as we were getting on our outsourced Indigo work. We've run full coverage 12x18 two sided work x 10,000 impressions and the machine never missed a beat. The last printed piece came out looking exactly as the first piece. Our enthusiasm may be a bit skewed, we were using a Konica 8050 for our digital color work for the past two years and it was nothing but a headache every day. Regardless, I've been in the industry for over 10 years now and can honestly say this machine is exactly what those of us in the quickprint have been waiting for.

The only digital press I've seen that beats our Canon is the Indigo, but those machines require much more consumables and maintenance.

The Canon is a great investment in my opinion!

Great Product.

Pros - Quality, Speed and Price based on configuration. In a blind test I picked the Indigo quality over C7000VP, The 7K over the igen3, and Nexpress. Laminating hides a lot of streaks. All of these devices streak but the maintenance is much less on the Canon products and their service training is respected by techs. Customer replaceable parts program is above the regular PMs which is for Commercial Production environments. The money is well spent considering the profits in bookletmaking and less prep times than conventional prepress due to excellent color profiles, doc merge, and imposition tools on the Fiery front end. This is from an experienced Scitex prepress operator, journeyman scanner operator and CTP consultant. A matchprint proof matched the default output of the same file in a blind test 90 percent. Customer had me print out the file with SWOP settings and then pulled out the proof. Speed wise it handles heavy stocks at same speed as bond. Mixed media was an issue until a fix was implemented. Some printers offer this as an upgrade cost. Speed over Image Priority. That means sacrificing quality for speed. This Digital Printer (7K) runs solid. Even without the tab kit, misfeeds were far and few between and the multi sheet detector on the optional paper POD cleared the misfeed and warned the operator to check the tab tray. The value comes from the toner transfer to paper via improved roller systems, blelts and dual fuser which allow for textured and coated stocks which look and feel like offset. I was fooled into thinking I could tell the difference. Its all about the paper which has settings to commonly used stocks in commercial print.
I agree, for the money there are no additional costs for conditioning, cleaning or servicing the7K.
I like the spectorphotometer which I use to quality control color, calibration is easy and takes minutes, the interface and bundled software like Pitstop to troubleshoot bad files with the Preflight check for last minute fixes, the previewer which shows screening, GCR, Gradation changes, sharpness, smoothing for low res, exporting PDF to vector for low res logos fixed via Illustrator. when native file isn't available. Remote Interface and drivers to print from anywhere as long as paper is loaded.
Cons - "Line" screen (default) on graphics shifts color, ex: Logos I fix this by choosing different screen system.
limited fold options(letter, Z, scoring, the FACI kit pricey, Monitor, mouse and keyboard. (optional for Fiery controler).
Didn't punch tabbed document. Inserting unit limitations. But workarounds like prepunched paper and preprinted inserts to resolve issues. Haven't tested large batches fo VDP files and recovery process when paper misfeeds or files hang, if any.
If you have any VDP issues please reply.
I like this printer, very versatile and it looks like offset.

We had a 6000 for almost 8 months and the image quality is very close to offset quality. Color is consistent as long as you keep it calibrated (at least once a day). As with any digital copiers oops I mean printers they all have downtime and you get to know you service guy.

I tested several digital press and found the color on the 6000/7000 was the most consistent of the ones in this price range.

I worked on the launch team until early 2008 and it seems to be a pretty good machine. We only had two Beta machines and one Pre production unit to play with.

My only concern was and is how well it wil hold up over time. We were getting smoking quality out of the Beta units on every stock imaginable.

Good luck on the Demo. I do hope you provided them with some of your files and stock for the demo.

I worked on the launch team until early 2008 and it seems to be a pretty good machine. We only had two Beta machines and one Pre production unit to play with.

My only concern was and is how well it wil hold up over time. We were getting smoking quality out of the Beta units on every stock imaginable.

Good luck on the Demo. I do hope you provided them with some of your files and stock for the demo.

They dont hold up well over time unless serviced regularly. We have had one for over a year and have been down for more than 5 days twice in the past month. Canon's recommended service levels are inaccurate for 99% of the people who use these so make sure you get a service company that is Canon certified to work on these machines. The machine when running is a great production tool. I have found also that the room/environment you put it in makes all the difference in the world as far as consistent printing.

I have to agree that the machines do not hold up well.I had two 6000vps and one was always down.

canon almost put me out of business with the poor performance of the machines.

We had to push them out the door and return to xerox to satisfy our customer needs.

Canon C7000VP

Canon C7000VP

as first 2 weeks the machine was absolutely fine but then we had to place a service call almost every 3 days , we are suffering alot with it specialy when the service answer you: Sir, We Need to calibrate the machine and that will take till tomorrow :(
Man i don't know but i'm thinking of getting KONICA Minolta Back! :D

as first 2 weeks the machine was absolutely fine but then we had to place a service call almost every 3 days , we are suffering alot with it specialy when the service answer you: Sir, We Need to calibrate the machine and that will take till tomorrow :(
Man i don't know but i'm thinking of getting KONICA Minolta Back! :D

Just curious who your service organization is?

Get your rep on the horn and get a meeting with the Service Manager. Three days between call is excessive on the service side, however you also need to consider MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure). If you're having a call every 3 days and you're running 30,000 impressions a day that might be a perfectly acceptable and within spec.

If you don't like what you hear from the dealer, rattle Canon USA's cage. Just make sure you have a documented and researched case.

Looked at one about year ago nice went for demo. But had demo of other machines test files printed Xerox, Konica Minolta. Not much different in quality actully liked KM output on more of the files. Was new to digital machines and was expecting 20 to 30 thousand clicks a month and thought the 7000 was overkill. Been happy with KM service same day or next when I have issue. Sure Canon is good but I would also check out the new KM 8000. Go to youtube and type konica minolta 8000 have some
Videos one from ipex but have two nicely done videos that show it off. Like the belt feed of the paper and up to 16pt stock sweet.

All of the current digital technology is pretty good. If any machine from the major players is being serviced correctly and by someone who is good it will perform fine. Everyone on here bagging a machine is not really bagging the machine they are bagging their local service.

KM 6501 vs C7000VP

KM 6501 vs C7000VP

We are in the process of merging equipment from another company. They have the 6501 and we based the deal on running both companies jobs on this machine. They have had nothing but problems especially on thicker stock. How thick can you actually run on the C7000VP? We are very demanding will it work for us?

C7000vp

C7000vp

The thickest you can run on the C7000VP according to Canon is 300 gsm or 110lb cover. you can push heavier through it but your servicing dealer probably wont support it. Canon is coming out with a new model at Graph Expo, the C7010VP. That one will do 320 gsm and has addressed a lot of the service issues they have had on the C7000VP.

Couldn't keep it running

Couldn't keep it running

We've just ended our use of the Canon CV7000 today. We've had it since January 2008. I was part of a small group within our company involved with the replacement of our old Doc60. My criteria was to replace it with something that would satisfy the needs of our doc clients but also serve as a decent backup to our Indigo 5500, which the Doc60 never was. After attending a few demos, my input was that the image quality was the best I had seen for a toner based printer. Unlike the docucolor, its output did not have the look of a glorified copy. The colors were far more natural. The only red flag I put up was that it was a new machine without a track record. We had no way of knowing how it would hold up in a busy shop. Unfortunately my words were prophetic. From the beginning we were calling in a service tech an average of 3 times per week. Many weeks we needed service every day. The worst of it was, often when the Canon would go down, we needed to wait a day or two for a part to be shipped. Yesterday, it went down again (3rd time since Friday) and a service call was placed. The powers to be cancelled the call and pulled the plug since our lease is up in October anyway. They see no point in the futile attempts to try running it any longer. I can't disagree. Sorry to drone on, but I thought my experience may be beneficial. In summary: I could not have been happier with the quality of the Imagepress CV700. However, the quality is useless if I can't keep it running. So, I would not be able to recommend this press as a dependable addition to any shop. If you anticipate your digital printer being an integral part of your operation, look elsewhere.

What kind of issues were you having when it wasn't running ? Paper feed, CQ, error codes ?

Not sure how many copies yore where running to have that many service calls. Most machines in this class have a duty cycle of 300,00 to 500,000 a month. Have C6500 run 25 to 30 thousand month service guy their 1 to 2 times month normally on of the develops needs changed he is their same day or early next. Never had to wait for part. Before you buy ask for names of some of their other customers should find out if they are happy with service.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back