downsize from Xerox dc5000c to 2 Xerox 700?

idahodian

Due to budget reductions (County government in-plant) my Department Manager is suggesting downsizing from a dc5000(had for almost 3 years) with a standard booklet maker to 2 of the 700's. I print a lot of business cards, brochures and several monthly newsletters that I use the booklet maker for to get the side and for-edge trimming. I use mostly plain cheap 20# copy paper and get decent results. Will I need to use better paper to get similar results with the 700?
I figure I won't be as happy, but will it be manageable? Then again I have definitely been oversold on equipment, I averaged 25,000 for both color and B/W. Countywide we have been way oversold last fiscal we removed 12 machines and will probably remove more this year. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Having owned 2 DC5000s 1 X700 and currently have an X1000. I would suggest sticking with the DC5000 for the stability. The X700 (a single unit should easily be able to handle 25K as I did 180,000 12x18 in one month on ours) is probably a lot cheaper monthly but be aware of it's limitations. The color is likely to move around page to page and don't expect any help on that. Spec is a Delta E of 7 and that is like greens turning to blues. Also, if you do a lot of business cards, it's not a good fit as it doesn't like card stocks.

I love my DC5000s and don't want to get rid of them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back