Presstek 52 DI ink slow to dry

Jsnapp

We have a Presstek 52 DI and lately the ink is taking a very long time to dry. I know the building enviroment we are in may have something to do with it. We do not have a controlled climate. We are at the mercy of the building we are in. In summer it can get humid in there. We use a toyo mid-tack ink. I was wondering if turning down the temp of the roller setting on the chiller might help. Out technotrans unit unfortunately sits right next to the machine. (No other place to put it). Ink settings are fine. We are actually trying to run jobs a little lighter to help speed the drying. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way the heater and powder unit have been checked and are both operating fine.

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

I know the Toyo waterless inks are very good but you never know. If you can try another batch of Toyo or ink from another supplier you might see a difference. Most times with Toyo ink depending on the coverage tou print and cut very quickly.

Thanks. We just received some ink from presstek called DI DRY and are going to try it. To me the waterless inks are some of the major draw backs to the DI. I will post again when we try it.

It is waterless, so no fountain solution. Is slow drying on all different jobs? or just areas of high total ink value 260%-300%?, if just high ink area then you should adjust tone rep curve on your rip to make it less soupy, also run your densities as low as possible, waterless inks can achieve some real high densities and still stay open, but that will take a long time to dry...

Coated or Uncoated Stock?? We use Toyo inks on our QMDI and even with heavy solids when we run on Coated stock (usually 80# gloss text) we can cut in an hour off press using minimal powder. Uncoated stocks obviously take a longer. We have also used the Heidelberg DI line of inks and they also dry very fast... but maybe a tad bit slower than the toyo.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back