Laminating Doc-12 prints

bgrubb7

Is there a certain laminate that will work for our Doc-12 prints? Our standard laminate peels right off, I assume due to the fuser oil used on the Doc-12. In an earlier thread it recommended giving your prints additional drying time. We tried this, but it doesn't work for us.

Re: Laminating Doc-12 prints

If you are using Thermal Laminate (heat application) you will be hard pressed to find an agressive enough adhesive to overcome the oil on the sheets from the copier. A cold pressure sensitive laminate will perform better for you but at a higher cost than the thermal laminates.

We had previously laminated (using our current laminate) some menus that were printed on a Nexpress with no problems. I thought that the Nexpress used fuser oil (I must have been wrong), so I figured that our Doc-12 output would work as well, but there is no comparison. The laminate peels right off the Doc 12 sheets, but sticks well to the Nexpress sheets.

Just ran a test with 2 sheets. One of them I wiped down with a soft cloth to get rid of the fuser oil haze. The other I did nothing. The sheet that was wiped off laminated great. Laminate stuck to it almost as good as regular offset prints. On the other sheet, the laminate peeled right off as expected.

So basically if you only have a small quantity of sheets to laminate, you can buff them off, and it will stick.

I realize you may have found a work around with that wiping thing. I came across a laminating system that appears to be designed for digital printing: Fujipla ALM 320. Its a thermal system, 8.5x11, 11x17 or 8.5x5.5, edge seal or flush cut, gauges 1.5mil 3mil, 5mil. About $17K

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

A little pricey for the occasional laminator. Also just heard back from my old digital supplier, and they claim decent luck with D&K's SuperStick laminate on their Docucolor 6060 prints. Which should be basically the same as Doc 12 prints, right?

When we had our Doc 12 we were doing a huge amount of lainating on coated cover stock with heavy coverage. We were sending out to a local laminating company. They had to use what they called superstick lamination at a significant upcharge. They told us this was true with most toner based color machines. The only exception they have found is with our KM C6500 then we can use nylon laminate.

As mainly an offset book printer, we laminate a lot of covers. The laminator service we use, makes sure to ask what Digital press we have so they know how much Fuser oil they have to deal with.

As others have said, we got an invoice that said Superstick on it. So far no problems!!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back