postcard & doorhanger machine - 100lb cover

tulsadir

Hello Experts,

I am a direct mail guy, never done any printing.

We want to start printing our shorter run postcard jobs with a digital press.

Here are my priorities:

1. handle 10pt / 100lb cover / 270 gsm (c2s)..auto duplex
(we would print postcards almost exclusively on the machine..100lb cover only)

2. printing 4up, full color 2 sides full bleed (5.5x8.5 postcards)

3. 100k-200k / month impressions

i have looked into xerox 700, refurbed 5000ap. been offered great deal on the 5000ap.

What should i consider for the above specs?

thanks for you kind input...tk

270 gsm postcards

270 gsm postcards

I'm not an expert. I'm a graphics guy who has been running a c900 for a year and half. So all my print experience is on this machine, but here's what we've been doing as it sounds similiar to what you're looking to do.

We run 3-up 6x11 postcards on 12x18 (270 gsm) duplexed. Full color both sides and about 95% ink coverage on the front side (heavy ink on the front). We typically don't go over 200k impressions per month. We have been doing this on a Ricoh c900 for over a year now which the c900 is not set to run over 220 gsm duplexed but we have been doing it anyway.

We are getting ready to add in a c901 which is oil-less and does have the duplex setting for papers over 220 gsm. Once we are satisfied with how that prints, we are going to start running variable data. Got any questions, just hollar at me.

You may want to check out other threads. Postcards from a digital printer have been giving others headaches with ink smearing if the stock gets damp in the weather. Also smears or flakes off when going through postal machinery.

Uv coater

Uv coater

I hear ya, PossumGal. We run ours through a UV Coater on the front side, makes them more durable.

Hello Experts,

I am a direct mail guy, never done any printing.

We want to start printing our shorter run postcard jobs with a digital press.

Here are my priorities:

1. handle 10pt / 100lb cover / 270 gsm (c2s)..auto duplex
(we would print postcards almost exclusively on the machine..100lb cover only)

2. printing 4up, full color 2 sides full bleed (5.5x8.5 postcards)

3. 100k-200k / month impressions

i have looked into xerox 700, refurbed 5000ap. been offered great deal on the 5000ap.

What should i consider for the above specs?

thanks for you kind input...tk

Hi Tim, Long time no speak! How is your Jet One's treating you?

My suggestions are... Stay away from 700 unless you're going 770 (just released this month) so you can duplex your stocks. We have a 700 in the shop but without duplexing board stocks you'll be babysitting jobs on the printer. Also there should be a stop order on 5000's so I think the 770 is in it's place in "class." Canon's comparable product is 6010vp. Next step up would be 8080 for Xerox and 7010vp for Canon. Other brands out there but that's only what I'm paying attention to.

At 200,000 large(100M 2 sided), you're probably ok with any of them. Just stay in a machine that can duplex your cover stock.

B.

As someone who puts more than 200K 12x18 clicks per month down, (and someone who has owned the x700) I would quickly tell you not to look at any version of the 700 (inc. 770) for that volume. The spec sheet doesn't want more than 70K (LTR) size prints per month and my Xerox reps are quick to point out the CED Optimum volume. I'd look at the 8080 or perhaps two machines.

As someone who puts more than 200K 12x18 clicks per month down, (and someone who has owned the x700) I would quickly tell you not to look at any version of the 700 (inc. 770) for that volume. The spec sheet doesn't want more than 70K (LTR) size prints per month and my Xerox reps are quick to point out the CED Optimum volume. I'd look at the 8080 or perhaps two machines.

Hey short run,

Sightly off topic, but why do many use 12x18 format instead of the 13x19 paper size? Also when you say more than 200k clicks what are your smallest and biggest runs? Thanks, kristain.

12 x 18 versus 13 x 19

12 x 18 versus 13 x 19

We run 12 x 18 because its cheaper and doesn't affect our impositions. We can fit 4 8.5 x 5.5 full bleed postcard on a 12 x 18 and thats the vast majority of what we print. For our smaller postcards we will run some 13 x 19. It really just depends on what kind of jobs you are running. Most standard sizes in the digital world are based around a 12 x 18 sheet.
Also, it depends on what is available in cut sheets. If we wanted 13 x 19 in our current stock we would have to cut down from parent sheets.

We don't print postcards, we print magazines... our smallest run in the last week was 3, longest 1100. We don't use 13x19 becuase we either are printing LTR or LGR finished size so we have plenty of room for gutter and bleed on a 12x18. We print anywhere from 300K to 600K a month 12x18.

for 200k prints a month, you need multiple Xerox 700 (maybe 3) or a bigger unit like the Xerox DocuColor 8080.

You may want to check out other threads. Postcards from a digital printer have been giving others headaches with ink smearing if the stock gets damp in the weather. Also smears or flakes off when going through postal machinery.

if the postcard is addressed with all the automatic algorithms from the USPS, the pieces may not need to pass by any postal machinery.

UV always help; regardless if the piece was printed in digital or offset.

Tulsadir: You might check with PIA. They did some test with respect to non-varnished post cards and tested scuffing from Postal machines. They tested offset and digital machines. One of digital machines performed better than offset. I can't remember which one, but I think they tried an Indigo, Xerox IGEN and Cannon Image Press. I don't remember where I read or heard about it, but I was surprised.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back