Presstek 34DI Paper grain

banjoman

Anyone run short grain gloss paper through their 34 DI? I have a job and wondered if I should try it or will it give me feeding or registration problems? It will be 100,000 sheets of 100# gloss text so I need it to feed well if I'm not going to be here sleeping on a cot.

banjoman

Re: Presstek 34DI Paper grain

Running that much paper you will not be sleeping on a cot. That back breaking low level feeder will keep you busy bent over and loading paper for hours. LOL.
Plus the hickey and reggy checks you will have to do. How many re plates will you have to do?
Plus the heat build-up and toning issues. Keep us informed on your progress?
OG

I just ran 2 back to back newsletters, 54,000 sheets each 2 sided with no problems. It was on uncoated 70# but I can handle the gloss paper OK. The press hasn't had any toning yet, I have put about 300,000 impressions on it so far. I ran the 54,000 run on 4 sets of plates, 2 sets per side. I realize that a bigger press with a high pile delivery would be best for big runs but I do more small runs by far. I knew there would be trade offs with a cut size press, so far it has been pretty good. I'm sure I'll find something to complain about sooner or later and you will see it here when I do. Why did I get into printing to begin with, I don't know what I was thinking, oh yeh, all that big money I make!

banjoman

We found short grain worked ok as long as there were no solids or heavy ink coverage. If so then it would roll up in the delivery.

If running heavy coverage then the paper might roll up into the rollers and you might get jams with paper stuck to the blanket.

I ordered 12 x 18 Vector DI performance gloss 100# text. It has fed through flawlessly. I have printed about 170,000 impressions so far and I have to say the feeder has done a great job. I got a small rolling office chair and I just sit and roll up to the feeder and load sitting down, works great.

banjoman

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back