auto duplex or not?

tulsadir

Would it be faster to manually flip in some instances -

for example, postcard job...4up on 12x18..full color

Front side - static..same image for all.
back side - variable...(address and barcode)

would you rather run this job autoduplex or flip them your self?
what it be any big time savings to avoid autoduplex?

prefer auto duplex...sometimes paper will be curled when print out and have difficult to feed in again...

It's a tricky question to answer. Auto duplexing has the advantage of not curling after sitting in the stacker. But some duplex mechanisms are more difficult than they are worth. I would say you really have to test for yourself and see what is more reliable over a number of different jobs and stocks.

Probably not the answer you wanted but it's my best advice.

It depends on the machine and the stock.

In this case we would probably run it as a single-sided static job, then flip and run a single-sided variable job.

considering xerox 700 vs. 700i

also considering refurb 8000AP, km 6000

just needing a postard machine to handle 100k / month or so

any machine input is welcome

It may also depend of how tight your registration is/needs to be. If you need a very tight registration with little slip for a specific job, I would not run it auto duplex, as there tends to be more slippage in the machines reg (I am speaking from konica experience)

In terms of time taken, machine run time should be more or less the same. Where you save time is in the loading/reloading of the machine.

We are looking at getting the 770.

I just demoed a 700 (not i) this week and duplexed everything. I saw around 1/2mm to 1mm variance on the backup.

Not enough to cause any issues as the files were built properly.

We have Indigo (5500 and 7000) we auto duplex all the time with less that .5 mm or less of difference front to back but, that depends on how well the stock is and the files

Let the machine do the work it's built for, auto duplex.

Instead of an operator flipping and loading stacks, they could be preparing the next job. Work smart not hard.

I agree that auto duplexing is the way to go...assuming you're getting good front/back registration. I've noticed on my KM that when I duplex, I sometimes have to adjust the front/back so that it aligns correctly, but I'm with Vee - any time you can auto duplex do it. That's why we have digital machines.

I upgraded my equipment specifically because of autoduplexing. I can now autoduplex 325gsm vs the 700 being only 221gsm.

It's a huge pain in the behind and if you're buying a stacker than it's basically useless without autoduplex. What good is lightsout production if you have to flip your paper.

I run an FTP direct to the rip so some customers just drop their files right on our machine. It gets printed at night when no one is even in the shop.

We normally can't get ours to stay within skew. (but tech worked on it yesterday and looks to be like he got it rite)

I was told by a Xerox tech that you can't get registration as good with a manual duplex. You may have better trays, of course, to me, a plastic guide that only strikes the paper a third of the way down doesn't keep the far end from skewing.

I agree with Matt Beals. It depends on the printer. Some printers work fine with autoduplexing but some don't. Best to test your printer regarding this concern.

If you have registration problems with auto duplex, the tech will fix it. If you manually duplex, the tech will tell you that you didn't have the paper in there correctly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back