HP Indigo 5500 Vs. Xerox iGen3

lfpotes

Currently, we are evaluating two couple of technologies to develop new business.

Our providers have presented 2 package solutions:

- Hewlett-Packard: Indigo 5500 press and Direct Smile Software
- Xerox: iGen3 digital color press and xMpie Software Suite

We need your opinion and comments about this solutions, advantages or disadvantages of each one (iGen3 Vs. Indigo 5500 and DirectSmile Vs. xMpie).

Thanks

Luis Potes.

Re: HP Indigo 5500 Vs. Xerox iGen3

From a print quality standpoint I felt that the iGen prints looked like they were from a color copier while the HP Indigo prints looked like they were from a litho press.
I also liked the quality from the Nexpress 2100.

The iGen likes abuse. It wants to run quite literally 24/7
The more it runs the better your consistency and print quality will be. When it cools down, and sits idle it's no fun!

Never used Direct Smile, xMpie is great software!

look at the canon imagePress, they look very impressive, i would buy one if i had the spare change. Ive used indigos, they are ok, but nothing to rave about, and the xerox is too shiny, both way overpriced.

Hi Vee, thanks for you answer.

Have you an Igen3? or Xmpie?

I liked have contact whit you to talk abuout this technologies. It's possible?

Thanks.

Luis Potes

I have imagepresses - they are only ok! lots of colour drift and twice/thrice weekly visits from the weary engineers. These are NOT really presses more copiers!

It might not hurt to look at the Xerox DC8000AP, it's production is just short of the IGen with a smaller investment. I have one that was installed in late December with about 300K on it now. It runs 300gsm 12x18 duplexed at 1200 per hour in All Weights mode. Very few issues to date and the color shift is less than 2 Delta E from 1st to last wen measured on a run of 6000 sheets. Front to back registration is +/- 0.5mm.

Thats pretty good mate. Im trying to do about 10,000 clicks a day (1.5 million since mid Nov 07) and all on 300gsm. Do you think it would stand up to that kind of consistent output? Whats the suggested monthly duty cycle?
Thanks.

According to the Customer Expectations Document the Average Monthly Print Volume is 250,000. From my understanding (I never received pricing on an iGen) you could almost buy 2 8000AP's for the price of 1 iGen (depending on the configuration). Then you would have the flexibility of running multiple jobs and redundancy if one is down for service.

I am in no way saying that the 8000AP is on the same level as an iGen, just saying it (or multiple presses) may be an alternative.

Ok, thats good. Thanks for that. To meet our monthly volume commitments we have to run two Canon Imagepress' for 12 hours a day. Fact is there is a high proportion of downtime that I have to pay the minders for. They hang around bored whilst the engineer tries to get them up and running again. We simply did not factor in such a high percentage of non productive time. We had been led to believe that a once weekly visit per machine would suffice - in reality we need them in every single day to either remove waste toner or replace ailing parts!
Boo hoo to us,I know... and a costly lesson that others should learn from before making the analogue to digital switch.

NexPresses are More Reliable

NexPresses are More Reliable

The NexPress is much more reliable than any of the solutions above. I've done a lot of research on uptime and productivity. Asked around a lot with other printers that have tested either 2 of the 3 platforms or all 3 -- and it is surprising what I've heard -- like you need 2 to 3 HP 5500s to keep up with 1 NexPress. The iGen and the NexPress are a much closer race than that. HP has some nice print quality, but there is a LOT of maintenance.

The NexPress is much more reliable than any of the solutions above. I've done a lot of research on uptime and productivity. Asked around a lot with other printers that have tested either 2 of the 3 platforms or all 3 -- and it is surprising what I've heard -- like you need 2 to 3 HP 5500s to keep up with 1 NexPress. The iGen and the NexPress are a much closer race than that. HP has some nice print quality, but there is a LOT of maintenance.

I wouldn't necessary agree with this, we have all three and other manufacturers smaller units. I will agree that the NexPress has a higher speed closer to the iGen (100 and 110 A4 ppm vs 33 for A3 the iGen and NexPress would be 1/2 and the indigo the same) but speed does not relate to the amount of up time.

If you are talking about older series 1 or 2 (before 5500) I would be more inclined to agree but if you are looking at new 5500 or 7000 vs iGen4 or S3000 which are all the latest and greatest they have similar up times. With both the NexPress and indigo the operator has more control over when the quality is below the customers requirements, because of this different companies each with different manufacturers equipment make it more difficult to fairly compare.

indigo will have great uptime. You can run it nomatter what the problem is, just bypass it and away you goa again

Indigo

Indigo

Hi, I have the sheetfed presses in california, sitting idle. I could print for you with that volume till you decide.
949-851-9710

Thanks!

lfpotes, one question first, where are you located? are you in the U.S.?

Yes, I am in Santa Ana California.

Please feel free to call me. 949-851-9710

Also my DI press is only running 1-2 Hours a day and I have it available the rest of the day.

It's great press for some one who has a runs of 500 and up all day long.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back