Carbonless on X700i

Recommend and not being able to run are two different things. I don't see why you'd have any problems running NCR on your machine (disclaimer: I have no experience with xerox machines) In the past NCR loved to jam in digital as its such a lite sheet. This has improved a lot however so shouldn't be any problems there.
That being said, w/e chemicals they use to make NCR work tends to smell funky as it goes through the fuser. While Its not something I'd be worried about, I wouldn't want to be breathing it in a small enclosed environment thought. It never hurts to crack a door or window.

Maybe they are referring to any carbonless. On the digital machines the stock must be made so that the coating does not build up on the drum. Can the machine run it? I'll bet it can. I am not familiar with this one, still old school here, but basically machines are stupid. I'll never forget calling our folder rep, explaining the problem and what we were doing. His response was "the machine can't do that" guess no one told the machine, ran a 3 ply carbonless with a tri fold.

Recommend and not being able to run are two different things.

correct; use it at your own risk. you should have no major issues.

I don't see why you'd have any problems running NCR on your machine (disclaimer: I have no experience with xerox machines) In the past NCR loved to jam in digital as its such a lite sheet. This has improved a lot however so shouldn't be any problems there.

"NCR" and "carbonless" are 2 different things too. The original NCR paper was created for offset printing; digital carbonless paper was created for digital printing.

I once got a right bol****ing from my tech for running 20,000 sheets of XEROX DIGITAL CARBONLESS through my XEROX DC250. I thought as I was using proper Xerox Digital paper then it would be fine. By the end of the run the print quality was really bad. Called the tech out and the whole machine had to be gone over - took him all day. He told me that the DC250 CANNOT run NCR, even the proper Xerox stuff (you may get away with a short run of course, but it will affect the machine). I argued the case with him as I thought why sell the stuff if it cannot run on the machines. He them produced the recommended materials list and sure enough, it is not listed on the DC250 list. I also have a DC12 and a DC5252, which both do list the Xerox carbonless as a recommended paper.

As far as I am aware, the 700 is based on DC250 technology, so therefore may not be able to run the carbonless. I simply run all my carbonless on the DC12 or DC5252 now and have had no problems at all. I can assure you however, that stuff really stuffed up my DC250.

Simon

Last edited:
it does work but long runs cause the sheet coating to lift off and literally cake the machine in it and this kills print quality. Find a good NCR trade printer and it will be much better for you, less hassle and you wont ruin the machine if your running large lengths of NCR

I run Nekoosa Digital Carbonless Paper for high speed copier and laser printers all the time on my KM 1050. However, like rsands says, if you run too many, the coating starts coming out as dust and cakes the insides of the machine. If you're needing to run tons of carbonless, I'd take rsands advice and farm it out with a markup - or just tick off your tech like I did. Luckily, I don't run much, but had a ton to run for a seasonal conference we were preparing for.

We upgraded from the 700 to the 700i. The 700i jams constantly on NCR paper, worse than the 700, except from the Hi Cap feeder, then it runs flawlessly. Our problem is the machine is in a corner away from heat and A/C. If you've got your humidity controlled, you shouldn't have much of a problem, just watch for doubles.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back