Canon Imagepress 7000 & Kodak M700

Diko

They look like the same machine ? Does any one know where they are manufactured.
I talked to my Canon guy and he's assures me they make the machine or does Kodak. Who's technology is it?

Cheers

Re: Canon Imagepress 7000 & Kodak M700

The Print engine is manufactured by Canon, however Kodak had engineers in Japan for 2 years working on the program. The Frontend for the Kodak is designed and built by Kodak. It is similar to the frontend on the Nexpress. The Frontend for the canon is EFI (I think).

Do you think Kodak have had much influence on it. I like the Nexpress and would look further at the M700 if it had a some of the fruit from the NP on it.

There is quite a bit of Kodak technology in the Canon 7000. Kodak and Canon jointly developed the product, and Canon does manufacture the engine. The M700 differs in that it uses operator-replaceable components (just like the NexPress....although different components of course), and it does use the same front end as the NexPress line which makes upgrading easier when that time comes.

The C7000VP is a Canon engine all the way. Other than the usual industry sharing there is virtually no Kodak involvement. Canon spent several billion designing this engine from the ground floor. Kodak's M700 is a scaled down version of the C7000VP (1-POD deck and 1-Stacker). Anyone telling you Kodak is highly involved in the design of this product is either greatly mis-informed or is outright lying. Sorry.

Kodak is offering it's own RIP, while Canon offers 3 RIPs from EFI and a Canon RIP.

Oh. And one more thing. They are both manufactured by Canon.

Hmmm....our shop is looking at both right now and leaning towards the M700. I'm told that the Kodak RIP uses the new Adobe PDF Engine which is suposed to eliminate transparency issues. Do the Canon or Fiery RIPs have this? Also, we like the self-service model that Kodak is offering and haven't seen anything like it from Canon.

canon definalely makes them, kodak is a rebadger.

Canon is announcing it's customer replacable modules I believe next month -- it isn't entirely 'self-service'. Just a service designed to reduce downtime by allowing the customer to replace certain parts which would ordinarily be serviced by a technician.

I'll have to check on the adobe pdf engine. I would characterize EFI's relationship with Adobe and Canon as extremely tight, so I wouldn't see why not.

Edited by: rogue on Mar 13, 2008 7:45 PM

It sounds like you work for Canon, (or IKON/Danka/etc...)?

And as far the new Adobe PDF 1.6 File Format, yes that is available on all the new EFI/Canon RIPs.

My bad, I apparently posted twice.

Edited by: rogue on Mar 14, 2008 7:13 PM

Any ideas what parts they intend to let the customers swap out?

Stay tuned...I have no idea, but the usual suspects would be drums, rollers, transfer blanket, etc.

Any one know the quality of canon imagepress c6000 and how much would it cost to lease it?

We're a recent M700 install, going on two months. From what I understand it's a Canon product with Kodak clothing. Cons - it still has transparency issues, it's new to Kodak and their people are unfamiliar with it (service techs onsite are fresh from training), consumable ordering department is still going through some growing pains, every new substrate requires registration and skew adjustments, one or few sheet sizes are recommended (multiple sheet sizes produces uneven wear on the imaging cylinders), 'operator replaceable components' aren't easy to replace like they are with the bigger NexPress presses, imposition software on the front end isn't very intuitive. Pros - quality is great, it runs well when it's finally set up properly and once you get used to it's quirks it does the job.

We're really just talking about a very pricey color copier anyway, right? :D

C7000VP, C6000VP, C6000 are exact same engine - basically only speed and monthly duty cycle are different. (and different toner bottle for C6000).

contrary to popular belief - ALL 3 engines use same toner and dual fusing.
- 7000VP is 70ppm for all stock weights (64gsm to 300gsm)
- 6000VP is 60 ppm for all stock weights (64gsm to 300gsm)
- 6000 is 60 ppm for 64-135 gsm, 52 ppm for 136-220gsm, 40 ppm for 221-300 gsm
(speeds for 8.5x11)

http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDCategoryIndexAct&fcategoryid=2469

I watched the video on the Ricoh C900, kinda looks like my MP9000 in CMYK Mode from what I saw. I would like to open one up and see if they added some metal in the thing or is it fast plastic like the 9000.

I'm not knocking the 9000, my install will be 3 years in December and I have over 7,000,000 now. Just the small things like the duplex tray needs to be replaced every 1.2 to 2 million due to groves being wore in the plastic. Ricoh has stepped things up in the past few years with their production models, I bet their giving Canon a run for their money in the B/W market.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back