A big job is coming up ... need some assistance

paulica

Hi everyone

We might have a big job coming up. We are all digital but we also have to quote offset.

Everything seems resonable, except for 110cm x 160cm posters. Question: the customers is saying they are now doing them on an offset press. The ideea is that from every original a maximum of 600 copies will be done.

If anyone does have experience with offset and these sizes, can you please quote me a price so I can compare to my costs ? I don't want to look totaly stupid when talking with my customer.

I must say, I have no experience with offset, we are digital and focus on digital jobs. But now, to get a 20.000 square meter per month contract, for banner printing, I also have to quote offset jobs.

Wow that's a big sheet! That converts to 43.3 x 63 inches. So look for someone with a 44 inch press, maybe a trade printer. Good Luck!!

The major manufacturers (perhaps the only) of offset presses larger than 105 cm are Mann Roland and KBA. I suggest you contact their sales department asking for suggestions of printers with presses capable of 160 cm.

Al

As presses go from small to large, at about 12 x 18 inches they stop handling the sheet by the short edge and from 20 inches and up, they handle the sheet by the long edge. This is because of the increasing difficulty of developing an ink roller train to lay down a uniform film of ink around an increasingly larger plate cylinder. So that large format presses are landscape devices rather than portrait.

Al

Heidelberg are now into the very large format presses 121x162cm I believe. So there is another supplier you might contact. Not too many of them around yet though.

Heidelberg are now into the very large format presses 121x162cm I believe. So there is another supplier you might contact. Not too many of them around yet though.

I saw this on heidelbergs website. The thing is I can't print them on my large format machine as it only does 914mm. I was interested of costs because maybe I could move my customer to a smaller format, maybe 90 x 140.

So from what you say, there aren't many offsets doing this sizes. Tommorow I will have to check with offset providers around me. Most likely the one capable of doing that is actually doing this contract at the moment. This will definatelly be funny :)))

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back