New to the industry: Offset vs Digital

Mel

I know everything comes down to profit- but can anyone tell me why some commercial offset printers purchased digital and why others are so against? Those who are against digital- what is it that you are looking for or is it just the initial invesment and search for new customers? Thanks in advance.....any thoughts for the new guy?

Re: New to the industry: Offset vs Digital

Mel...

The main advantage to having both digital and offset is the ability to meet more of your client's needs under one roof. Typical offset only shops have to outsource jobs (or lose the revenue stream entirely) such as variable information projects, bulk mailings, weekly media guides, in-line numbering on invoices, tickets or fund raising programs, perfect bound manuals with dynamic content requirements and any short run brochures or fliers. Typical digital only shops can't compete with the cost savings afforded to long run brochures, nor can they effectively produce letterhead or envelopes.

Additionally, with the capacity for long and short runs under one roof, printers have the capability to deliver a smaller quantity of any given project (500 or so) sometimes in the same day, while the long-run version of the exact same piece makes its way through pre-press and onto the four color presses. This means the FAST turn around of a digital job, combined with best pricing afforded by offset.

Those who embrace the positives of both digital and offset printing while understanding the needs of their clients are likely to find themselves becoming more of a one stop shop for all their clients needs.

Edited by: Kymberli on Mar 31, 2008 3:38 PM

Edited by: Kymberli on Mar 31, 2008 3:38 PM

Kymberli,

Your answer is magnificent. Very well stated and to the point. Both printing methods have their place in our industry. I still believe the digital machines have a ways to go to produce the quality that a traditional offset press will produce.

One factor you mentioned is the ability for a digital machine to have VDP capabilities. That is a great feature and I would not recommend a digital machine unless it had that feature.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post.

OG

Thanks for your response. Would either of you be available for a 15 min. phone conversation? I would like to get your "wish list" of what an offset printer should look for in a digital press. [email protected]

Mel,
Some companies that shall remain nameless are very litigious. I decline your offer of a phone call.

I would suggest you search the web for organizations that printing members belong to and send out a questionnaire using their membership list.

Best of luck in your quest

OG

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back