Registration/solids on Xerox 800 and 1000

BigSi

Hi there. I'm looking at upgrading my old DC 5000 to an Xerox 800 or 1000 machine.

Apart from the obvious is there any real differences between the 800 and 1000?

Am I going to see a noticeable improvement in fit? ( for example double sided 21up bcards), and lack of banding in large solid and tints.
Unless there is at least a 25% improvement in these two areas I'll consider another brand. ( I'd rather stick with Xerox, better the devil you know).

For what it is worth the 5000 is a great machine, better than the newer Xerox 700 I have in most areas.

Please don't put your 2cents worth in if you sell Xerox. (or any other brand for that matter) I need unbiased advice.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Simon

I did a demo of the 1000. There are some real nice features especially the full width array which is the cats ass. The only issue I had is my print cost would have gone way up. The additional click charge for anything over 16" was a deal killer. Went with the 8080 instead.

I have an 800 and solids come out outstanding. I do solid black covers for one customer and there is virtually zero banding. Either machine can come with a package that adds an inline spectrophotometer which includes software to adjust inboard-outboard color shifts. The only difference between the 800 and 1000 is that the 1000 puts a smaller gap between each sheet through the paper path, therefore printing more sheets per minute. We run 2 shifts 7 days so we opted for the slower 800. We are open longer then our daily run time so the extra money for 20 sheets/min did not make sense.

Thanks for your comments, Has any one run both an 800 and 5000? just trying to do an exact comparison.

Thanks for your comments, Has any one run both an 800 and 5000? just trying to do an exact comparison.

Being an older machine I forget, I thought the 5000 shared a lot of imaging technology with the 250 (700/J75 etc)series. Wasn't it just a 250 with a less compact paper path and more robust fuser?

Someone set me straight with this. I know it didn't share the 2060/8000 imaging/fuser.

Hi there. I'm looking at upgrading my old DC 5000 to an Xerox 800 or 1000 machine.

Apart from the obvious is there any real differences between the 800 and 1000?

Am I going to see a noticeable improvement in fit? ( for example double sided 21up bcards), and lack of banding in large solid and tints.
Unless there is at least a 25% improvement in these two areas I'll consider another brand. ( I'd rather stick with Xerox, better the devil you know).

For what it is worth the 5000 is a great machine, better than the newer Xerox 700 I have in most areas.

Please don't put your 2cents worth in if you sell Xerox. (or any other brand for that matter) I need unbiased advice.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Simon

I had three DC5000's and loved them in comparison to anything I've touched since. We were going to replace them with a 1000 but after the install the 1000 was so buggy and the registration was so bad that it was returned under the CED with no real pushback from Xerox. It has been over a year since I touched the 1000 but I have not heard good things on it from the local company who bought one as well. Word of caution on the 8080, it holds color like a strainer holds water. I ended up upgrading the 5K's to 8080's and just put in an IGen. I still wish I could get my 5000's back, but they can't handle the volume. We also have gotten a number of complaints leaving the 5000's because our customers liked the glossiness of their print. Just a thought, but I would go no where near a 800/1000 platform if I were you.

I had three DC5000's and loved them in comparison to anything I've touched since. We were going to replace them with a 1000 but after the install the 1000 was so buggy and the registration was so bad that it was returned under the CED with no real pushback from Xerox. It has been over a year since I touched the 1000 but I have not heard good things on it from the local company who bought one as well. Word of caution on the 8080, it holds color like a strainer holds water. I ended up upgrading the 5K's to 8080's and just put in an IGen. I still wish I could get my 5000's back, but they can't handle the volume. We also have gotten a number of complaints leaving the 5000's because our customers liked the glossiness of their print. Just a thought, but I would go no where near a 800/1000 platform if I were you.

We had a lot of issues with the x800 product when it was first released and I know me and ShortRun spoke regarding those issues during that time. I will say that engineering has replaced the faulty parts that initially shipped with the product and the software of the machine has been updated constantly where we no longer have software bug issues. If you asked me 2 years ago what I thought of the 800 I would paint you a different picture then today. We currently run with maybe 1-2 service calls a month, with a volume of about 500k.

Being an older machine I forget, I thought the 5000 shared a lot of imaging technology with the 250 (700/J75 etc)series. Wasn't it just a 250 with a less compact paper path and more robust fuser?

Someone set me straight with this. I know it didn't share the 2060/8000 imaging/fuser.

Bit late on this...

The 5000 uses the 240/700 series imaging (toners/devs/ROS/drums/IBT) but doesn't use EA toner... The paper path and fuser are pretty much the same as the 6060 or 8000. Most of the parts are actually interchangeable. The paper trays and output are the same as the 8000.

Not really on-topic but when they discontinued the 5000 in my opinion it left a massive hole in the X product range. As they had the chassis in place already it doesn't seem there would have been too much to do to upgrade it to EA (matt) toner and a 60ppm machine... this would basically have just needed a change to the fuser and a software upgrade.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back