anyone with registration problems with thier Konica 7000?

Hounds2

we have a 5500 and a new 7000 and we cant seem to get as good registration, both front and back and single side, as we did on our 5500. please let me know.

thanks

what kind/brand of stock(s) are you running? I have had some stocks, like Hammermill 28# 12x18 that never lines up from to back, due to their milling the sheets in a rhombus. I have also been told that some very heavy stocks have registration issues on the KMs.

we usually run 100# gloss txt, but it doesnt seem to matter. our 5501 is more sensitive to paper than the 7000 but it registers better. it is possible that i have been a printer too long and expect too much from a copier. any printing device that doesnt register the sheet is worthless to quality printing. hopefully technology will move that way before long. even a simple register system like that on a small offset would be wonderfull.

we have a 5500 and a new 7000 and we cant seem to get as good registration, both front and back and single side, as we did on our 5500. please let me know.

thanks

We had a 7000 for about 30 days registration was so bad and konica could not fix so we had to replace with an 8000. now we have two 8000 and to be honest I would not buy an 8000 ever again either. i cant wait till those leases are up so we can replace with a real printer

Hello,
i have heard about KM 8000 printing heavy paper is not good,
the registration and the color density are not the highest level,
try Canon ImagePress, the color and the registration are very good, only have the problem with textured papers,
the color density in textured papers is not enough,
In general is a good machine

HR

very interesting to hear all your comments about the KM7000/8000... we had considered an 8000, but overall were not impressed with it. Honestly, I don't think we could have done better (cost for quality) than we got out of our Xerox J75s. Front to back registration is almost always damn near perfect on the first print... rarely, if not perfect a very simple .02" Image Shift correction via the Fiery. Each production sheet coming out consistently however the make-ready came out.

Are you taking into account shrinkage? We have a KM6501 and we can usually only get 3 of 4 corners lined up, it is to be expected that the registration will not be as good as a press. They outline the tolerance in the paperwork.

On text paper, we will have one sides crops be inside of the other, all due to shrinkage.

shrinkage can be a problem... all depends on your tolerance for your final product, but a good design should have enough bleed to more than compensate. I have personally had issues on our old KM machines where you couldn't get more than 1 crop mark to align because they were printed skewed front to back

oh, and just to let you know, if you can enter the maintenance panel on your KM, there is a "magnification" entry for side 1 and 2. Our KMs were all set to zero and couldn't print an 11x17 image on a 12x18 (front or back). The real problem with our KM650 was that if you entered a value big enough to correct the 11x16.875 image, it suddenly became outside of the "mechanical limits" of the printer and it would fault... LOL

Lets see if this even will attach... this is my test file: 1" Squares, making an 11x17 image on a 12x18. Printed 1-sided you should have a perfect 11x17, printed 2-sided you can easily see registration as well as any stretch/magnification/reduction. All you need is a reliable inch scale
View attachment 1 inch squares.pdf

Yes, the registration is not so good. I'm a bit upset with that too.

If you shave the paper all the way around it gets significantly better. That's what I've taken to doing on a registration critical job. I guess that's the paper's fault, not the machine's. You'll then need to compensate with an image shift in the RIP since the paper changed size (of course).

I'm seriously baffled by the person who can't print 11x17 on 12x18. I print 11.25x17.5 on 12x18 all the time without going into maintenance mode (2x8.5s with .125 bleed all around). I even catch some of the marks, so closer to 17.75 on 18. I'd check your software. Whatever your printing from must be reducing it before it heads out.

Now if anyone has any tips on their 7000 for skew, that's a problem I've yet to defeat. Is there a way to adjust it?

thanks for the imput. im not talking about streatch. im talking about puting the image near the same spot on the front of the sheet too. i've given up trying to put the back side spot on, i adjust for that in layout when i can. it makes trimming a booklet a nightmare in some cases. like i said, i am used to being able to hold the image on the sheet and i am thinking it might be a lost art in the digital world. i guess when you think that the sheet is not gripped at all, let alone on the same gripper edge, it will be impossible to get decent registration. a 3 panel brochure with critical folds is a challenge. for the most part i am happy with all 3 of my konicas. for what they do they do well. i was just hoping someone had a secret that i was missing.

The machines can't be relied up to do critical work, we don't do anything on the Konica that will need some type of die made, ie foil, emboss etc.

We were having an issue with sheets coming out crooked and our service tech turned off some sensor that adjusts the sheets position on the fly, since then we haven't had any issues with that, not sure what that sensor is called though.

Shrinkage

Shrinkage

Are you taking into account shrinkage? We have a KM6501 and we can usually only get 3 of 4 corners lined up, it is to be expected that the registration will not be as good as a press. They outline the tolerance in the paperwork.

On text paper, we will have one sides crops be inside of the other, all due to shrinkage.

OK...I've got a stake in this: When printing on two sides, Canon imagePRESS calculates the shrinkage on each sheet and automatically compensates and calculates image size so that crop marks line up. In addition, imagePRESS is built from the ground up to register sheet sizes up to 13 x 19.2, not letter size sheets. The reason many of these digital "presses" have trouble with front to back registration is they are designed to register letter size sheets. This creates many of the issues faced when attempting over and over again to line up registration/crop marks on tabloid sheets and greater. There are reason's we pay more for some presses over others. That is just one of them.

resgistration issues

resgistration issues

Registration on our 8000 has always been spotty. Sheet "flair" is an issue, but it has to do with how the sheet is treated through the print process. There are so many mechanical touch points, two fusing sections (for heavier paper), a redirection for humidification (if turned on), etc.

It's an over-engineered process for an 80 ppm copier. Try running the even pages through first and then re run odd pages, all in simplex mode, to see if that works. It's technically a little faster that way too, since duplex degrades the running speed on the 8000. (it actually adds running speed on our KM 1200 B&W's, go figure.)

OK...I've got a stake in this: When printing on two sides, Canon imagePRESS calculates the shrinkage on each sheet and automatically compensates and calculates image size so that crop marks line up. In addition, imagePRESS is built from the ground up to register sheet sizes up to 13 x 19.2, not letter size sheets. The reason many of these digital "presses" have trouble with front to back registration is they are designed to register letter size sheets. This creates many of the issues faced when attempting over and over again to line up registration/crop marks on tabloid sheets and greater. There are reason's we pay more for some presses over others. That is just one of them.

Xerox allows you to register 13x19 sheets as well. Xerox insures that the print area is the same front to back. If you want a 11x17 out of a 12x18 your document will be an exact 11x17 on both sides. It prints the image larger so it shrinks to size, instead of making side two match the now smaller then desired side 1.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back