Folder for digital printing

bhm8hwcm

Hi I am looking for recommendations for a used folder for short run digital printing.

I am not looking to spend a lot of money (if possible).

Was wondering if folders like a Baum Ultrafold 714 will do the trick for short runs on offset and gloss stock. I am familiar with running folders (have run tabletops and large folders) and am looking to replace what I have right now.

Any thoughts on a good little folder? looking to spend under $2000 on used one.

I am not too worried about cracking as I find many people dont want to pay extra for scoring.

thanks

Hi I am looking for recommendations for a used folder for short run digital printing.

I am not looking to spend a lot of money (if possible).

Was wondering if folders like a Baum Ultrafold 714 will do the trick for short runs on offset and gloss stock. I am familiar with running folders (have run tabletops and large folders) and am looking to replace what I have right now.

Any thoughts on a good little folder? looking to spend under $2000 on used one.

I am not too worried about cracking as I find many people dont want to pay extra for scoring.

thanks

The Baum will fold fine, however you will need to buy a creaser or all coated stock will crack very badly

This is the folder we use. It works well for our offset and digital (xerox 700 and Ricoh 907) work. Agreed on the creaser, we run a Count EZ creaser and it works great for creasing, perfing and scoring. i know people dont want to pay for anything but...

Just be sure that on a 714 you test run it on the the stocks you intend to fold in a size other than 8.5 x 11, We have an older (Blue/gray covers) That will not fold 14 inch of any gloss and has a lot of issues with heavy coverage on end panels. but According to Baum there is a coversion kit that will change the timing on the older models to accomodate for digital. The issues above are not experienced on offset sheets

Also don't assume the 714 will fold cover stock well. I can only reliably get 65# cover through. You can get heavier stocks but it tends to jam frequently.

We use a 15 year old baum folder with 2 gates for up to tri-fold, and we got the pitstop mini creaser to crease before folding.. works wonders. definitely need to score some stocks before you fold depending on coverages as well.

I have a 714 and I'm having a devil of a time folding gloss 80# text. I don't know if it's the vacuum feed or what but glossy stock is just difficult to fold. Doesn't want to pickup the sheet.

We went with Morgana digifold. Not sure your budget will find one, but if you look around you can find one of the slower MK1 models for approx. $5000. They do a nice job and easy to setup. But the MK1s run slow and are loud. Later Digifold 5000p and pro models are much faster, but more money. The biggest advantage is they matrix crease in line, I've never experienced cracking on any stock with any of my digifolders.

We're an all-digital shop with mostly short run folding jobs. We have a Rollem auto 4 and a Baum 714, and that combination almost made our folding jobs more difficult. Recently picked up a used Duplo CF375 and have been having a ball with it. Just added the perf option (will be trying it out this afternoon).

I know this doesn't help solve your problem OnPoint331, but my experience on the 714 has been such that when you can get it to feed digital sheets, consistently correctly folded sheets are elusive. Then you have the static at delivery issue. I've experimented with the anti-static string, etc... all to no avail.

Last edited:
I have a Baum 714 and we only print digital. We haven't had any problems with it all. The only complaint is I cannot get 80 cover to feed consistently. But have not had any problems with it feeding digital gloss or uncoated. And I can usually get it dialed in in about a few sheets.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back