Digital flat bed V's uv printing...

rps

Hello,
I am looking to expand my business and looking at getting something that I can print onto wood and fabric with. I started looking at uv printers, then I came across flat bed digital printers which are not uv. Can some one help to explain the differences between the two in the following areas?
- Cost of machine.
- Cost of inks.
- Type of ink used and how they differ.
- Can I print on any surface with both types.
- What is the durability of the print such as fading and scratching.
- Any other info I may not have covered or know about.

Thank you
Amy

I would guess that the non-uv flatbed you're looking at is a solvent based printer. There are a couple models out there. Not knowing which one you're looking at, I'll speak in generalities. There are also some "hybrid" inks, which I don't understand that well.

Solvent inks are more typically used in roll printers, not flat beds. Your choice of substrates will be limited compared to uv. The inks are also significantly less permanent/durable than uv inks. They often require over lamination for outdoor or high contact purposes. The machines are definitely less expensive than true uv machines. If you're serious about one, you should definitely talk to the manufacturer and test your applications.

From what I have read, the flat bed ones should be able to print on wood and fabric or pretty much any surface. But you think I might need to coat the items after to make them durable?

Thanks
A

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back