Printing on perforated paper

Shawnd

Got a job coming up that I am thinking about running 2up on 11x17 paper, the perf will run 3" from the bottom long ways on the sheet, anyone else doing this and found a pre-perforated paper that works? Looking at using 24/28 #.

This will be going on a Xerox 700.

There can be many concerns if the perforations are not done correctly by an experienced company. Unfortunately for that quantity, you probably won't find anyone interested in doing it. We run perforated all day long without any jamming, but our paper lays flat and our perf is professionally done (not by a print shop with a Baum/Stahl type folder).

That is what I was looking for, is a vendor with good microperfed paper that is known to run through a digital with little to no jamming, we currently do perfing after the fact but would like to take that out of the process if possible.

Thanks, found many vendors but wanted wanted to get some first hand reviews. Not printing across the perf so I don't have to worry about that.

Got a job coming up that I am thinking about running 2up on 11x17 paper, the perf will run 3" from the bottom long ways on the sheet, anyone else doing this and found a pre-perforated paper that works? Looking at using 24/28 #.

I have run all different type and weights pre-perforated on my 700 and have never had a problem. Just made sure to try and get it as flat as possilble and you can't load up your tray Little lifts

We run pre-perfed paper most days on our Xerox 800 with no issues at all.
Just need to make sure that the perf is facing the same direction on all sheets when feeding - for us we have the raised side down.

The stock we use is a 100gsm uncoated SRA3 which we get perfed by a diecutter on a cylinder.

There can be many concerns if the perforations are not done correctly by an experienced company. Unfortunately for that quantity, you probably won't find anyone interested in doing it. We run perforated all day long without any jamming, but our paper lays flat and our perf is professionally done (not by a print shop with a Baum/Stahl type folder).

Got the BS meter pegged on this one! We have MICRO-perfed 100's of thousands of sheets on our Baum 2020 and run back through copiers. The key is MICROPERF, not the traditional rotary style perf. It can be done quite cost effective, we typically perf at 20,000/hr with one operator.

Micro Perf IS the key, but it must be done correctly. i.e. Past the actual perfing process, (rotary wheel) should be a flat roller (metal or hard plastic, not rubber) running over the perfed line, which will remove (iron out) almost all "lift" resulting from the deforming of the fibers. You could certainly do this in house with a MicroPerf wheel and roller setup correctly, on a Baum type machine.

I'm glad this discussion came up, however I don't mean to hijack the thread.

We have ran perforated sheets of 13pt. tag stock (with adhesive attached) through an 8-1/2" deskjet to quickly add larger consecutive numbers to a short run job. The sheeted tags are produced in house using our narrow web letterpress equipment, capable of many different options such as perfing, diecutting and stringing to name a few. These machines aren't configured for large print sequential numbers, the deskjet works well but not if we need to run wider media and/or longer runs.

I would like to explore using something more commercial such as an imagePROGRAF iPF510/iPF605.. capable of taking wider media and also different substrates. Our tag stock can be as thick as 15pt., and we also run synthetic stock like tyvek -- many times with a fiber reinforced hole which adds thickness to one side.

However I have two main concerns in regards to running our perforated sheets through a wide format injket:
1) does the print head need to travel the entire media width if the sequential numbers are printed in the same position between perforated areas?
which printers handle this more efficiently?
2) can adjustments be made to any specific printer(s) to compensate for a fiber reinforcement or strip of adhesive that causes the media to sit at a slant?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back