Canon C1 Imagepress Feedback?

doeydoey

hello everyone, my company is getting ready to buy a new printer for our marketing and design needs. We took a look at the Xerox 260 and was impressed with the color accuracy and output time. My boss also wants to look at the Canon C1 Imagepress. Does anyone have any experience with this printer? We called Canon to find out if anyone has one we can look at.

I work in Las Vegas and no one has that printer here in town or in Nevada for that matter. Is it even worth taking a look at? The specs make it look like its slow. The samples they sent us look good on heavy stock, glossy paper but that isn't what we'll be using day-to-day.

Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Canon C1 Imagepress Feedback?

I am also interested in this machine which is suppossed to have exceptional quality.
We have not received any prices from Canon so I am also curious about purchase and servicing costs. If anyone has info please advise as to what a fair price is.
We plan to use this machine in a retail and small commercial copy shop with anticpated volume of about 15,000 per month with hopes for growth to a second machine in the future.

I have one and the color output is wonderful, the oil free system means that streaking is gone, getting to use heavier weight paper is terrific. But the RIP.....I went with the T1 (the medium duty unit) and it has VERY slow communication with our PC's. As I write this I am watching a 55MB print file trickle over the network, after 23 minutes, 51MB has transfered! Canon doesn't call this spooling issue a problem.

So Canon, if you read this, tell me how this is better than my Z60 I gave up.

Thank you for the feedback on the T1 RIP. That is very surprising considering it is an upgrade from their bundled RIP. And the Q1 RIP is expensive. What has canon told you about the slow RIP time? Have they offered any solutions besides upgrading the RIP?

Can anyone provide me with aquisition costs and service or service and supply costs?
How many copies a month are you running and how long have you had it?
How many copies between service calls?
Is the registration accurate for 2 sided?

thank you
rick

If you do experience problems with the network speed, I assume, it's not the rip but either the network card, ethernet hub or switch or the cable. We're working with Q1 and T1 and in our case the time to transmit the data is as fast as the network components are able to deliver - in our network 100 Mbit.

We ahve a C1 and have / are experiencing problems that Canon cannot resolve.

Registration with doublesided printing
Graphics and others

It would seem Canon are ready to blame everything in house except their machine. Talking off the record to tech's it appears the problem is the Fiery Rip and because Fiery is so big and strong it goes into the too hard basket.

Recommendation - don't buy one the problems are not worth the great result.

We ahve a C1 and have / are experiencing problems that Canon cannot resolve.

Registration with doublesided printing
Graphics and others

It would seem Canon are ready to blame everything in house except their machine. Talking off the record to tech's it appears the problem is the Fiery Rip and because Fiery is so big and strong it goes into the too hard basket.

Recommendation - don't buy one the problems are not worth the great result.

We have a C1. I like that it has great colour and a rather large paper use spectrum. But I'm not a pre-press person, only a graphic designer (don't ask), so trouble-shooting is not easy, when I can't devote any real time to it - that being said, no one else in our company would dare go near the thing, so that leaves poor me.... well, that and the technicians. But they only know the maintenance, parts, and repair, not the performance side of things. One of which, as noted, is two-sided printing and registration. We had that issue narrowed down to a discrepancy in what Canon quotes publicly and what Canon R&D would recognize re: paper limitations of the finisher.... fine, we'll use thinner paper then. But lately I've also had problems with the Fiery RIP not being able to handle the complex graphics or larger jobs. It's likely all my fault for not understanding the correct procedure for file set-up etc., but nonetheless, for the price of this thing, you'd think it was more overall predictable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back