Printing Machines Comparison

ErwinB

Hello,

This is my first post, so I admit that I'm a greenhorn when it comes to selecting a digital press for my needs.

I'm asking the local vendors here for digital presses that can support short print runs of 1000-2000 copies of journals, at about 100 pages (200 pages back-to-back).

So far, I have contacted Fuji Xerox and Heidelberg, and will meet up with Konica Minolta and Ricoh next week. HP and Canon have their vendors here, but I'm still wiating for their customer reps.

So far Fuji Xerox has recommended their Color C75 Press, and Heidelberg its Linoprint C751. Which is the more reliable digital press? I thank you in advance.

Linoprint C751 is a "re-badged" Ricoh C751, so they are both identical with the exception of service.

1000 to 2000 runs generally can be run less expensively and more quickly on a true printing press (either a 28" or 40" would do it). You may wish to consider this option if the books do not use variable data.

Real presses are going for a steal these days (a decent used 28" oughta be WELL under $500K with platemaker, etc.). And then of course you'd need to be set up with bindery, which could be another $75K max.

So, there might be a higher initial investment, but the per piece cost could be VERY reasonable with a real press. So if you'll have a lot of this work coming in you'd want to keep the idea in mind.

I work in a shop where we have both types of equipment, and I would be very hesitant to tie up a digital machine on a steady basis for jobs of this type. Just too slow and click costs can kill you. (A press could easily turn out the equivalent of 4000 11x17 clicks in 45 minutes for repetitive runs of 2000. Of course you have to add-in bindery time, etc.)

You may wish to consider this option, so long as the books do not use variable data.

Thanks for the comments on the Linoprint/Ricoh, though what about the other brands up there? Also, while reading davarino's comment, it struck me...would it be more convenient to get a press from one manufacturer with all the options included (stacker, binder, etc.), or get the bindery from other companies?

Davarino - Don't forget to burden skilled operators, plate maker, chemicals....

What kind of binding? For saddle stitched I think inline is good if you get the heavier duty options like for the Ricoh it would be the Plockmatic BK5030. The kind built into the finisher can be ok too it depends on what paper you are going to run, how many books, and how many sheets.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back